Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New Here

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Here

Just found out about this site. I'm just starting to get back into fishing real hard. The kids are finally getting old enough where I can. I really want to get into some serious crappies this spring and was wondering where are some good places to go? What to use? etc...

I live in between W/loo and Mason City. So some places in N central Iowa would be nice.

Glad to see there are some others from IA on here!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to meet you. Red Rock, Rathbun, Coralville lake are a few of the good one in Iowa. Not real close to you, I'm from SE Iowa so not much help to you.
    Roadrunners, jigs topped with minnows work best for me here
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

I have some relation in Albia maybe I'll have to visit and head to Rathbun! I've tried some lakes up here have always been able to catch some but now I'm after the BIG ONES! :D

I've used jig heads tipped with minnows and numerous twister tails before. With pretty good luck. Never heard of a roadrunner though? Any links of where to get them.

Last year was the first year since I was 16 I didn't get my fishing license and never had a chance to go fishing. So this year I'm going to be making up for it. Spring of '04 a friend and I had some good luck, caught a dozen really nice ones. And a nice walleye mixed in with them! If I remember right most of them were about 14" and the walleye was 22".

We'll see if I can get the picture to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Cabelas, Bass Pro have the road runners. I'll be heading to Rathbun in about 3 weeks. 2 if I can talk my wife into it.
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. That looks like a nice stringer. Another decent place that's close is the lakes at George Wyth in Cedar Falls, we caught a few 13 in. + there last weekend. I also live between M.C. and Waterloo. Actually 4 miles east of Aredale.
    Last edited by fishn_ia; 04-29-2006 at 06:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You're not too far from me. :D I live in Clarksville.

I've caught a lot of crappies in George wyth never anything that big though. Which lake were you on and what were you using?