Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling Set-up Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Post Trolling Set-up Questions

For those of you that troll what rod/reel set-ups do you use for crappie?
    What are some of the better techniques/lures that you use on LOZ, Truman, etc.?
    I mainly jig but am interested in trying something new. Thanks in advance...

Post Thanks / Like

well I do not troll on truman or LOZ, but I do a lot on Stockton, If it will be any help.

Okuma line counting reels
    bandit lures, 200 and 300 series, black/pink, crawdad color,,tiger stripe, and something with green/chartruse
    1.7 to 2.5 mph.
    troll 18 to 40 ft of water. look or scatterd fish and then just start trolling,,,, sometimes I just go to a spot and set up and troll
    I run 4 to 6 rods at a time, using rod holders of good quality, if you go cheap you will go twice,,,, I use EZ rod holders, there are several good ones on the market.
    I like to troll from June till november.... I never tried after november (reason, fish are deep most of the time and I like to Jig deep crappie.... there is a real good post on the Mississippi board trolling 101 I think, verry good read for the most part, good luck and great fishing to you

Post Thanks / Like

Beagle Man are those Okuma reels the bait caster style.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes baitcasters are the ones I know of by them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    well I do not troll on truman or LOZ, but I do a lot on Stockton, If it will be any help.

Okuma line counting reels
    bandit lures, 200 and 300 series, black/pink, crawdad color,,tiger stripe, and something with green/chartruse
    1.7 to 2.5 mph.
    troll 18 to 40 ft of water. look or scatterd fish and then just start trolling,,,, sometimes I just go to a spot and set up and troll
    I run 4 to 6 rods at a time, using rod holders of good quality, if you go cheap you will go twice,,,, I use EZ rod holders, there are several good ones on the market.
    I like to troll from June till november.... I never tried after november (reason, fish are deep most of the time and I like to Jig deep crappie.... there is a real good post on the Mississippi board trolling 101 I think, verry good read for the most part, good luck and great fishing to you
    I just got my first line counter reel in today and its an Okuma Magna Pro Dx15. I start reeling that thing and its loud. Is that how its supposed to sound I've not messed with any of them at all. I loosed the drag up and then it wouldn't even spin the spool so I'm gussing there just noisy? Thanks for any feedback I can get. Oh and you recommend trolling in October and November if so I'm gonna give it a shot I'm dyin to test this new reel out.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is the clicker that is engaged. Its a button on the left side of the reel I believe.