Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod holder riser length

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod holder riser length

Ok guy's I'm going to open up a can of worms. I have a HITEK rod holder from calshy ( Scott Echols ) and I am getting ready to have him make me another 4 rod holder set to match what I already have from him. The one I got has a 18" riser and 20" T bar. The inside wall hieght is 12" so the 18" riser is perfect. At the back of the boat I have a bench seat because I have a tiller handle motor. I am going to have him to make me 2 additional base's so I can long line off the back. Do you all think the 18" riser's will be ok or do you think I need to go with a 9" riser to try an keep the rod tips closer to the water. There is not much inside wall height to contend with at the back.I can put one on each side of the bench seat. The boat is a 17ft stumpknocker fiberglass hull with a 50hp ETEC. Might have hime to make one 18" and two 9" risers, really need some opinions.

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

I think the 18 would be better if you will be standing or moving around. If you will be seated the 9 will be better.

Post Thanks / Like

Never thought of it that way buy makes since to me. I will be up moving around most of the time. I fish by myself most of the time and with my back problems I can't sit or stand but so long at a time. Thanks for your reply.

Post Thanks / Like

a cheap way to find out would be to make some fake rod holders from 1" pvc pipe at the heights you're considering, go to the lake and see what works. or sit out in the boat in the back yard with the fake holders and make believe rods to see if it works.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

All good advice. A virtual trip with no one around worked when I was setting mine up. I can now put out 23 rods. I think i need a few more though.Doh
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    All good advice. A virtual trip with no one around worked when I was setting mine up. I can now put out 23 rods. I think i need a few more though.Doh
    would love to be there when you had 23 on the hook at the same time, and see how long it would take for you to get all 23 in the boat.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.