Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a deepfry recipe that makes really CRUNCHY FISH??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone have a deepfry recipe that makes really CRUNCHY FISH??

I know this should be in the cooking section and I posted it there also but figured more folks would see it on here.

Im one of those people that loves crunchy fish (although Ive never had it before that Ive cooked)... Im talking about getting my crappie really crunchy like when you got to a lees chicken place and eating there extra crispy chicken.

Im currently using kentucky kernal flour and the flavor is great but the fish always comes out bendy and not very crunchy except around the edges. I want the whole fish to be like the edges of the fish. Ive been using an egg wash then dipping it. Thanks for your time and any help would be appreciated. Id still like to stick with deep frying it also...

Post Thanks / Like

I use an egg wash also, but I learned from a good chef to use rice flour instead of regular flour. It does make a difference. After the egg wash, I dip them in chrushed Ritz crackers - great flovor. Fried in peanut oil.

Post Thanks / Like

Use Panko bread crumbs for breading. Panko makes for a very crunchy coating, just follow directions on the box.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Hot oil is the number one ingredient to keep fried fish from getting soggy. Very few consumer fryers can crank out enough heat to handle more than a few fillets at a time without a big drop in temperature.

As far as batter, I've found that batters that stick to the fillet in a thicker layer finish crisper. Seems like egg whites and oil help you do that, along with letting the batter sit for 20 minutes or so before dipping and making sure the fish and batter are both as cold as possible before dipping. Also make sure the fillet is dry before dipping and drain it on paper bags as soon as it comes out of the oil.

I like to dredge mine in a mix of flour, salt, pepper and a little Old Bay before battering.

I like this batter recipe:

1 c. flour
    1 tbsp Baking Soda
    about 5 shakes of salt
    A little pepper
    1/4 tsp Old Bay
    1.5 tbsp oil
    2 beaten egg whites
    Enough water or beer to make a batter. Ice cold if possible.

I use the dry ingredients in the same amount to dredge. I usually just mix up a bunch at put in a Zip-Loc to take with me.

Sometimes I'll throw in a little more Old Bay, a squirt of lemon juice or vinegar.

The guy I learned from believed that cold fish let you get the batter done before the fish overcooked. His fish spoke for itself!

Post Thanks / Like

Egg & Ritz crackers for me too. My 5 & 7 yr old grand daughters think I'm the best cook in the world when I fry fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcass View Post
    I use an egg wash also, but I learned from a good chef to use rice flour instead of regular flour. It does make a difference. After the egg wash, I dip them in chrushed Ritz crackers - great flovor. Fried in peanut oil.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Hot oil is the number one ingredient to keep fried fish from getting soggy. Very few consumer fryers can crank out enough heat to handle more than a few fillets at a time without a big drop in temperature.
    I prefer to use a large pot with a candy thermometer so I can keep a good eye on my oil temp. My recipe isn't too exact, I just eyeball a good mix of flour, corn meal, instant potato flakes<--adds crunchy!, and a little brown sugar. Dip 'em in egg, pat on the mix, and in the frier 'til golden brown.

Dang, now I'm hungry! Gonna have to call the wife and have her thaw out some filets for tonight...

ieatfish is offline Minnow * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Its all about Hot Hot HOT oil, and Panko breading!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMeat View Post
    I prefer to use a large pot with a candy thermometer so I can keep a good eye on my oil temp. My recipe isn't too exact, I just eyeball a good mix of flour, corn meal, instant potato flakes<--adds crunchy!, and a little brown sugar. Dip 'em in egg, pat on the mix, and in the frier 'til golden brown.
    Sounds like we work about the same. I have a propane burner fryer and hang the candy thermometer on the side. I had to come up with numbers for the recipe I posted, but I use my fingers for the soda and one "glop" from the oil bottle. The rest I just use what looks right. Been known to give it a shot of hot sauce. Taste the first one out of the fryer and adjust the batter on the fly.

Fresh fish and cold beer really can't get too messed up.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to Julia Childs the cold beer!!!!!!!
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Hot oil and PankoThumbs Up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast