Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: paint or plain jigheads?

Post Thanks / Like

Default paint or plain jigheads?

I pour alot of jig heads and usually use the powder paint on them. I do not bake them or anything like that, I seem to loose them pretty fast at times. I was pouring some today and was thinking of not painting them, wondering if it really makes a difference to the fish or just the fisherman. Do you all think it is important to paint the jig heads and what is your favorite color?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it makes a difference, but not all the time. Sometimes crappie will hit any color that touches the water. Other times they turn up their noses at everything that doesn't match whatever color they've collectively decided to hit that day. Painted heads can help you find the right color combination. Say they are keying in on chartreuse and refusing everything else. If you tie on a pink and white jig with a chartreuse head, you'll get more hits than if you would on a pink and white jig with an unpainted head.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Leads natural gray is a color. And it works well at times.
    NightProwler

Post Thanks / Like

I use unpainted heads 100% of the time. I think on a certain day at a certain time, it may play a small factor, but I don't think it will cost you fish most of the time. Try it with unpainted heads, and see what you think.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

i use unpainted heads 98 percent of the time, i especially like the unpainted head with the red hook, i have caught lots of specks using them

Post Thanks / Like

I only use unpainted jig heads. I believe that the color of the plastic body and the action of the body is what it takes to get their attention. But it is the choice of the individual. I Have used painted and have not noticed a difference.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

I use unpainted most of the time, until I notice a drop in interest by the fish. That is why I keep some of my wifes old fingernail polish on the boat. I can paint one in a second or two and it dries fast and will do well for that day. I usually rub it with some nibblets first to get rid of the chemical smell and or taste.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magnum500 View Post
    I only use unpainted jig heads. I believe that the color of the plastic body and the action of the body is what it takes to get their attention. But it is the choice of the individual. I Have used painted and have not noticed a difference.

Totally agree!!! The only plastic I ever need is the one I designed and I've found that one or two plastic colors rigged on bare leadheads is all I need to catch 5 species. Gone are the days when I thought I needed to have five or so jighead colors in my box.

The only time matching colors to the plastic might matter is when you want to visually extend the length of the plastic. ie. a three inch white grub will be extend to four inches visually by rigging it on a white jighead. But even lure size really doesn't matter if you keep it within a certain range. My range is 2 3/4" - 3 1/4".
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 10-11-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Always use plain lead heads then it doesn't matter about switching lure colors

Post Thanks / Like

I use plain heads also, but the guy I get em from, puts a black eye on em, he just dots em on each side with black paint.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast