Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: trying to find a crossbow

Post Thanks / Like

Default trying to find a crossbow

does any one have any suggestions when it comes to finding a crossbow is there anything i need to know when it comes to looking for one and any specific brand to avoid i was thinking about buying one at the local BPS or mabey online any info would be great and appractied thanks C.J.
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Basically two schools of thought.
    Tough, light, and simple: A recurve Excaliber type.

Heavier, faster, little more maintenance and attention: Compound type. Have to watch getting limbs in the string, you don't want the string to come off, bad day for you.

I have an old Barnett Commando that is the recurve type that my daughter shoots. It is slow, but works well. Excaliber makes a scope that you shoot your crossbow through a chronograph and get your speed. Then dial that speed on the scope, sight in the crosshairs at 20 yd, and the triangles are your 30, 40.

All work fine. I would invest in a range finder to get your yardages right on.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, check out.

ArcheryTalk.com in their crossbow forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Excalibur! I've owned 3 and loved every one of them. Simple, powerful, fast and SUPER ACCURATE! I've also owned older Jennings and newer Bowtech and Ten Point crossbows, but eventually sold them. I now only own Excals.

I'm currently shooting the Axiom (175lb) and I've taken 6 deer with it in the last two years. The closest was 6 yards and the furthest was 53.

What I like about the Excalibur crossbows is that they are very simple (you don't have to worry about keeping them "tuned"). If you break a string or cut a few strands with a broadhead, then you simply replace the string in the field. If you break one with a compound crossbow, your hunt is over and a trip to the nearest Archery shop is in order.

Also, you won't have to carry around an old arrow and a target to "unload" your crossbow. You simple let it down with the same stringer you used to cock it.

If you're just starting out, you can get the Excalibur Axiom kit that will come with every thing you need for under $500. It's a quality bow you'll have for many years to come. Excalibur customer service is second to none and they have great warranties on their bows.

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to our local bow shop guy and I am with OkieDon. He also said that one mistake, especially with compound crossbows is using them to target practice with. He said they wear out strings and components and get expensive quick. He said sight it in and hunt with it. Occasionally check it. Be sure and frequently wax the string, and use rail lube where the string rubs.