Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hook, Line, & Sinker?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hook, Line, & Sinker?

When brim fishing from a boat what size hook, line, & sinker do you use? Fishing corks along the bank I usually use very little weight but if fishing deep water on the bottom from a boat I'd think you'd need much more weight to keep your line tight. What say ya?
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm fishing deep, I don't use a bobber at all, but vertical jig, usually in flooded timber. When we're doing that, I'll use a #10 baitholder with a little split shot above it and slowly feed out the line until I hit bottom, then very slowly bring it backup. I never take my fingers off theline so I feel the lightest tug (although most of the time, the gills will hit it like a freight train). I'll stop every few feet and yo-yo the bait. This has bee very productive fo rus. You can also tie your hook above your weight if you want, but old habits die hard.

If we're bobber fishing shallow fo rgills or crappie from the boat or canoe, I like a very small slip bobber, #10 baitholder with split shot, or ice jig. I use an UL with 6# Ironsilk.My husband uses 4#. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I catch most of my gills on a 12' to 14' telescopic pole with 6# line. A cork set at about 3' and a #4 hook and a cricket. "NO SINKER" if there is little to no current. This allows the bait to sink slowly. If fishing on bottom I use the same setup except no cork and enough weight to allow the bait to sink.
    Birddog,

I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray. When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep. That in His mercy I be judged, BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.