Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: On Board Charger Question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default On Board Charger Question?

Using a on board charger this season(2-bank) and was wondering if it is normal for the charger to build up some heat during the charging period before it switches over to maintenance mode???

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't notice mine heating up, but mine is mounted back out of the way. It is one thing to be warm and another to be hot to touch. Is it real hot?
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

Does not get so hot that you can't touch it just gets very warm.

Post Thanks / Like

This is normal.Just as long as it does'nt get so hot you cant lay a hand on it. My three bank gets pretty warm also.

Post Thanks / Like

The charger will get warm due to the electronics inside that result in a charge being delivered to your batteries. When you look at your onboard charger you will probably see an aluminum plate that the charger mounts to and is probably your mounting frame. This is actually the heat sink for the charger and is intended to absorb some of the heat from the charger so as not damage the electronics. From experience, I would not recommend leaving the batteries on charge all the time. Even though the charger is going into a "maintenance" mode, it is still very likely you will boil your batteries dry. I have used 3 onboard chargers including BassPro, Guest and MinnKota. They have all ruined batteries if left unattended. When the charger indicates the batteries are fully charged, remove the AC from the charger. Recharge every month to maintain the full charge. If at all possible, check the water level often. I know mine are under the console and next to impossible to check, but it is a necessary evil. Only alternative is to go to the sealed gell cell batteries such as the Optima, but that is a large investment in batteries. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with oldtimer on the checking the water levels. I have to add water every few months. Be sure to get distilled water. You can get it at Walmart or the grocery store, don't use tap water.
    LET IT RIP!