Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stockton and lots of wind

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stockton and lots of wind

Last two days very windy. Yesterday we went up the river in a little jon boat and caught a nice mess of fish around log jams and stumps. Fish seemed to be anywhere there was some cover or a drop into deeper water.

Today we fished main lake brush and it was spotty. We finally hit enough piles to have a couple of limits by 11am. By that time I had all the wind I cared for anyway. I wish I could tell you a patteren but there was no ryhme or reason to what beds held fish. A few beds in 15ft-20ft were good and a few in 24-28ft were good. I would think I had the depth and what type of beds they were on figured out then I would fish one that I thought should work and no bites. I moved to a few that I didnt think would work and catch 3 or 4 good fish? My trees that were really good last weekend were terrible. Fished over an hour on a fence row that was great last weekend and caught one so had to go into search mode. We fished 8 beds and 2 were good, 3 avg, and 3 no fish. I fished Glow/chart with nibble, partner changed around but always came back to the glow/chart super jig.

I did catch my biggest Stockton fish of the year at 14 3/4. Thats a big fish on Stockton, at least for me.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

darn good report Jason, congrats on sticking it out. I bet it was a fun two days, wind or not,,,, later man

Post Thanks / Like

Great job jason we did very well up river to all weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a fantastic fish!!!! We tried hard today at CC but never really got into a bite. Sounds like you did a lot better then we did.

Post Thanks / Like

Great fish Jason....Good report & thanks..

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a stud fish for around here man. Way to go on the limits too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W View Post
    Thats a stud fish for around here man. Way to go on the limits too.
    I talk to folks at ramps several times a year that tell me about the 15 and 16inch crappie they catch. I have launched my boat for the 87th time in 2011, and over 400 trips since 2007 and 14 3/4 is the biggest fish I have caught. 14.5 was the biggest in 2010. A friend of mine that has fished Stockton thousands of times since the lake went in caught his first true 15inch fish this spring up birch branch and it was a black male that was 15.25 . I told him he should mount it but he fried it instead. So, maybe I just aint very good but when folks tell me of 15 and 16inch fish on stockton they are either way better than me at catching big fish or they measure fish different than we do.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy and I were at his farm pond this year during early spring and I caught one that went 14.5 and thought man now thats a slab. My buddy a shoulder away one upped me with a 15 and then a 16.5 both were the biggest crappie we had ever seen. He mounted both. Those were out of farm ponds and not quite as hard as catching them out of lake. I think for me its a tough bite to swollow when guys tell me they catch fish like that in lakes around here. I know it can be done and there out there but you gotta prove it to me if you get one that big. They are rare around here. In missipp maybe not but in MO its not that common unless I'm fishing the wrong spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Danny W, I have seen several that went 14 plus lately on LOZ. And if you go to some good areas on Truman you can find them as well. The winning big crappie at this years fall camp went 15 1/2 inches, and I caught one that went 14 1/2 inches. I have seen several others catch some along those same sizes as well. I have never fished Stockton, so maybe they are more rare their I dont know. But bigger waters usually have larger fish as a whole, depending on the fishing pressure, food source, and spawn hatches you can get some big ones sometimes.

The girl got the 10 1/2 incher black today, and it was about 200 yards from where I got the 14 1/2. But yes you got to go where the grow big to catch big consistently.

Post Thanks / Like

My brother came by and said he heard they have been catching 15 to 18 inchers at Sapps landing ,I have been there for the last 1 1/2 months and a 14 in. is the biggest I caught.I guess I have been using the wrong baits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast