Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: newbie tight line question

Post Thanks / Like

Default newbie tight line question

Im new to crappie fishing and trying to learn to tight line. I went last week with not much sucess 4 fish. I was fishing over the drop off and could see fish on the fish finder. Had 10 foot poles rigged with 10 lb test line and homemade colecapp type leaders made of 10 lb test line with 1/2 and 3/4 sinkers. wind was blowing pretty good and fish were in 15 to 20 foot water. Lines never really felt tight and could never really feel the bottom. Lost rigs several times and never really felt the fish I caught. Yesterday I was reading a book on crappie fishing and it suggested 20 to 30 lb test line for main line and leaders and 1oz or larger sinkers. Seemed to this would make my line tighter and more "sensitive" especialy in the wind. Any help or suggestions ?

Post Thanks / Like

not much help on the type of rigging your talking about, I would have gone up wind and pitched a double jig set up 1/4 or 1/2 oz jigs and let it fall in front of the fish, and twitched it a bit,,, it that does not work I just spin arround and toss into the wind, sometime in the wind you have to drift it by them, if they do not want to bite it when it is sitting still,,, bet advice is keep reading,asking,and practice,practice, time on the water is a verry good teacher

Post Thanks / Like

Try using Hi-Viz line, I use 1oz. weights but there is times the pole never moves but you can see the line moving sideways.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

What is the preffered rigging? Weight above barrel swivel then lures/jigs? Or weight on the bottom? Main reason for this question is with the weight above the swivel it likes to wrap the pole on transport, either on the road or the lake. I also switched to hi-vis line. It is amazing with a 1 1/2oz weight that pole tip moves with great ease.

Post Thanks / Like

I have learned this set up from a good teacher. Using Berkley 6# Fire Line Crystal. Use any monofilament backer of your choice on your reel. Then attatch 20-30 yards of FireLine Crystal depending on how deep you fish. Use a 3/8 oz wormweight above a barrel swivel, I then simply attatch an Eagle Claw #4 Snelled set up. Can buy a package of 5 those pretied for about a dollar. Run the loop of the snelled line thru the barrel swivel, loop the hook once thru the loop of the snelled line loop and you are good to go. What I have found is this, I have fished now approx 15 trips since setting up to tightline this way. Results are if you hang up, bounce the line and worm weight and 95% of the time you release the rig. At worst you have to pull it out you either straighten the #4 aberdeen hook, and at worse you break the snelled line and can reloop another thru in like 15 seconds, without retying anything. Have not broke the Fireline Cystal above the barrel swivel yet. The worm weight will get you to the bottom if you desire yet can bounce you out if you get hung.Course I am talking about using minnows, you would have to adapt this to your jiggin style.
    Take a kid fishing today: Hopefully they will grow up and take a kid fishing someday.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
    What is the preffered rigging? Weight above barrel swivel then lures/jigs? Or weight on the bottom? Main reason for this question is with the weight above the swivel it likes to wrap the pole on transport,.
    When we had Mr. Coleman down here this spring he told us they don't use that setup much anymore and goes with the weight on the bottom. I also use a drop shot system I've perfected over the last 2 years in my tournaments. It works great. 20# braid-suffix orange with 4" mono leaders.
    8' rods and baitcasters. You can also slow troll with it. I'll ususally put out 2 on my rod holders in the front while
    I hold 1 or 2 rods in hand.