Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lund or xpress 18pfc

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lund or xpress 18pfc

I am about to order new boat and just about to get the xpress 18pro crappie with 115 yam 4 stroke loaded down. Now after reading other post and looking at Lund web site they have a new 1775 pro v that has crappie option and has great looking floor plan. I am really a bass guy going to crappie and fun fishing. Never had a deep v like lund pro v. Now the xpress is more of a bass design hull and pad and seating like bass boat. Obvious the pro v has more walking around and seating for more than two people but driving the boat be less fun. Will it catch lots more wind? Will the taller sides not be as good when fishing? help from others that have had both please

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a x bass guy and have owned a xpress I'll say the xpress. Nothing like feeling at home in a boat. The "crappie boat" deal kinda sounds like a sales gimmick. I have two boats one I catfish, night crappie fish, troll, etc. out of and the the other, my old bass boat is a 20" Champion. I really liked my xpress.
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

Post Thanks / Like

I had bass boats all my life going all the way back to 1970 when stick steering was the craze. Only problem with that one was you go through the waves and not so much over them, LOL!

My last Bass boat was a 20' Skeeter with a 200 HP and was a lot of fun since it would run a real 73 MPH or so. I got so I just couldn't stand on that front deck all day any more so I sold it. I tried a short 18" pontoon and nothing will beat that for tying up to fish, but trying to use a TM long line trolling was really bad. Then sold it and got a low profile 17'-6"G3 which was small and not so stable and the wife hated it even just tied up and boats going by with the waves you rocked a lot. I looked really hard as I didn't want to make a big mistake again and it came down to the G3 Deep V and the Lund 17' Explorer crappie edition. After looking at them long and hard my final decision came to weight and why they were different even so there over all size was the same. The G3 was 300 pounds heavier which made me look even harder. In the end I found G3 just double hulled everything and Lund had doubled hull where it was needed so much more design work into it. I also didn't want to draft more so got the Lund the best designed boat ever. The gas tank is in the floor mid hull and right in front of they is your battery box for the TM so great weight distribution and you never loose sight of the horizon when taking off.

Does it catch some wind, yes, but not so much that I can't do what I want. I would trade it for anything else, except maybe a 18' Lund.

If you like low profile a lot more then maybe it's not for you, but I can't ever remember anyone that has a Lund that didn't love it. I bet the Great Lakes has way more Lunds than any other boat and in Alaska all the guides use Lund. I had to go about 250 miles just to pick mine up as not many dealers hear in Texas.

So that is my 2 cents and you can't buy much with 2 cents, but it's free here.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

You know my choice, LOL. Both are nice boats, but spider rigging, and holding on cover with the wind blowing should be one of you're top priorities, other than comfort, which both boats will provide. It never fails in the spring, the cold fronts keep the wind howling, making it difficult to control the boat, and from your previous experience, you know that boat control is the primary factor in catching fish!!! My 2 cents worth.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

Well spring is not a problem for me as I long line troll about 98% of the time and no need to hover over a spot then at all. Summer is different and I do fish brush piles then. But spring I fish Hydrilla all the time. Everyone is different and fishes different so what boat is great for one, maybe another boat is better for someone else. I know they don't make a boat I would trade for and if I spider rig I can even have two seats up front so could have help watching poles. Fall I would be right back long lining and in summer I would most likely be able to tie up over where I want to fish here as there are so many trees.

I just think each person just needs to weigh what he wants more often and get a boat that fits the need or want. I know my Lund is built/designed better than any boat I ever tired and have had many over the last 43 years that I have had a boat. My wife definitely like the lund so much better than any boat I have had over the last 32 years because of the high sides and rough water ability that this too makes it right for me. She can't swim very well even though she took a class as an adult, still not comfortable which I like that she feel good in this boat. I guess my only regret is that I didn't get a 18' or larger as they get unreal with room at 18' or bigger and there is a big difference in a 17' & a 18'.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, everyone should get the boat that serves them best.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

Well my style fishing I think the mod v is best and I think xpress is the best layout. Bill what are those two spider rig set ups in the nose called? Is that bases put in and those spider poles screw in when u use them? Also the rod holders on the spider rigs. Is that all one set up you buy or is it separate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofy1 View Post
    I am about to order new boat and just about to get the xpress 18pro crappie with 115 yam 4 stroke loaded down. Now after reading other post and looking at Lund web site they have a new 1775 pro v that has crappie option and has great looking floor plan. I am really a bass guy going to crappie and fun fishing. Never had a deep v like lund pro v. Now the xpress is more of a bass design hull and pad and seating like bass boat. Obvious the pro v has more walking around and seating for more than two people but driving the boat be less fun. Will it catch lots more wind? Will the taller sides not be as good when fishing? help from others that have had both please
    I got a Xpress 18 pfc with a 115 yamaha and you will not find a more well built and stable boat IMHO. Very wide and gets back on the pad like a bass boat....cant go wrong with this outfit.
    Green River Lake

Post Thanks / Like

I have a X17 xpress with F115 and spider rig, slow troll, long line etc with no problems and has plenty of storage. Handles rough water fairly well. What I don't like about any pfc series boats are the double seat pedestals are too far back from front of boat. Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

If u look on main web page on the PFC they added two in front of the 3 to put you closer. That is how I am ordering mine. I am just trying to pick a color. I think I like the Silver which isn't even an upgrade. I don't know about the red but white would be hard to keep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast