Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much sun?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too much sun?

I was wondering if anyone else feels sick after a day of fishing? I think if must be from too much sun, I fished all day Saturday and today I feel feverish and sick with stomach problems. This is how I feel just about every time I go out and fish like a savage for the day. Is there something I can take to remedy this condition?
    Thanks
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like

What are you eating and drinking while fishing? The wrong food and drink while out in the hot sun can cause some ill side effects.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same problem everytime I go fishing all day, but I thik it has something to do with all the beer!!!

You might be dehydrated. You do not have to do a lot of physical activity to be dehydrated.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree...many people experience mild symptoms of dehydration without ever knowing what it is. Keep the water going in and your muscles, skin, head and belly will all feel better when you are done.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess its lack of water, I usually drink coffee in the morning and fish all day and might drink a bottle of water or two, I don't eat until supper. I just dont get thirsty until it gets real hot outside then I drink a few more bottles of water.
    I will start packing more water with me and make it a point to drink even if I am not thirsty.
    Thanks
    kenny

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are describing the typical...most people don't get thirsty until they are already dehydrated. And caffeine/alchohol will also add to the problem. I've also seen golf courses refuse to sell cokes during the heat of the summer as caffeine and carbonation is the worst.

You might not need to drink more, just drink sooner (before you'r thirsty). I believe the recommended intake of water is a gallon per day...maybe more if you are really active.

Don't take this to an extreme as it can be deadly (had a friend almost die from it)...but that would be like drinking 3 gallons in a short period of time.

Here's a link if you'd like to read more...

http://www.outdoorplaces.com/gear/eq...ion/index.html

Post Thanks / Like

Have found that a day of fishing , followed by at least one more day, and for the best remedy, at least two more days of fishing will prevent these post-fishing day blahs. And a few brews or shots of other poisons will ward off Scales Syndrome, or better known as post fishing stress, if taken sometime after the first cast, but well before removal of the boat from the water, to permit total infusion and subsequent elimination before heading down the road! Taking a vow to be on the water again at first opportunity, which sometimes causes this disease to become acute, but which is also curable if identified early in the day, also tends to reduce the post stress symptoms.
    Caution: this regimen should not be followed if wife tends to throw things or if employer tends to fire folks who don't show up for work (particularly during crappie season).

Post Thanks / Like

You need to call in sick and fish tomorrow. That will fix it. I plan on fishing the next 4 or 5 or 6 days..
    Could be just on the water and not used to it.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

last saturdaywe fished daylight to dark, and my wife didnt drink very much gatorade and i had to take her to the hospital and they had to put a IV in her to hydrate her. she got so bad that she was getting stomach cramps and fever. but shes fine now just her stomach is sore.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 80-40 thermastat, have to be very careful because I take fluid and diuretic medicine along with other medicine every day. Congestive Heart Failure, no salt atleast minimum salt and two liters of fluid a day. Dehydration can take you away. Limited exposure to these tempertures are not to hard on me but I do have to be careful and not over do it. Beats the alternative. Still kicking and wet a line here and there. lol
    Today is a great day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast