Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i wtb a good dock shotting rod help what do i buy ?????

Post Thanks / Like

Default i wtb a good dock shotting rod help what do i buy ?????

what rod to buy set up line rod and all thanks

Post Thanks / Like

ive got ugly stick 4/6 and 5ft rods and shakesphere they work great but dont get bass pro tiny lite rod reel combo ive broke 2 shooting docks
    fishing from the couch in front of the tv doesnt count

Post Thanks / Like

B&m makes ss55 for shootin docks you pair it with pflueger along w/vicious 6# yellow line for watching for the "tic" youll go a long way to find better look up grizzzly jig co. Theyll send ya one!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Harris ... I'm not going to tell you what to buy, but I will tell you what I use :

My main dock shooting rod/reel/line setup is :

Norsemen Outdoors ESP 5'6" UL spinning rod
    Shakespeare Alpha XT 1000 UL spinning reel
    Mr Crappie 4lb test Super Hi-vis mono

My backup dock shooting outfit is :

Quantum 5' spinning rod
    Shakespeare Alpha XT 1000 UL spinning reel
    Mr Crappie 4lb test Super Hi-vis mono

All in all, most any good 5' - 6'6" rod in light to med action, with a reel that balances well with the rod length, would make a good dock shooting outfit. Line choice is up to you, but you do want to use a limp line that doesn't retain memory (esp. if using a UL size reel) ... 4-8lb test range ... hi-vis if you have trouble seeing your line.

I like using 1/32 & 1/16oz weedless jigheads, with solid plastic bodies (tubes, or otherwise) ... as they seem to snag less, skip across the water better, and the bodies don't get pulled down on the hook (as easily as hollow bodied plastics).

You might also be interested in reading my posts in this thread : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ecnique-2.html
    And I always recommend using this technique AFTER shooting a dock : Vertical Casting | Older Articles

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

esp 6' powerlite. best shootin rod I ever laid my hands on. pflueger supreme 8030, 6# mr crappie hi-vis (if you can find it, dont think they make it no more) or vicious 6# hi-vis

Post Thanks / Like

i like a longer pole for bobber fishing. there is uaually alot of slack "especially with the wind" and a longer pole allows quicker reaction time and better hook sets. i use anything 8' to 9'. medium lite. with a sumwhat high ratio reel, and 8lb test. i like 8 because it is just a lil tougher. 6lb breaks a lil too easy. bass pro sells an excellent rod, 8'6" micro lite IM8 i think "float and fly" with a fast tip. cant beat it for 50 bucks. i just bought a 9'6" er to try. got it for 40 bucks on sale.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhill10 View Post
    i like a longer pole for bobber fishing. there is uaually alot of slack "especially with the wind" and a longer pole allows quicker reaction time and better hook sets. i use anything 8' to 9'. medium lite. with a sumwhat high ratio reel, and 8lb test. i like 8 because it is just a lil tougher. 6lb breaks a lil too easy. bass pro sells an excellent rod, 8'6" micro lite IM8 i think "float and fly" with a fast tip. cant beat it for 50 bucks. i just bought a 9'6" er to try. got it for 40 bucks on sale.
    You shoot docks with an eight to nine foot rod? You must have some pretty long arms. I use the 5.5 sharpshooters from grizzlyjigs.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc View Post
    You shoot docks with an eight to nine foot rod? You must have some pretty long arms. I use the 5.5 sharpshooters from grizzlyjigs.
    Nah, chaunc .... he said "bobber fishing" !! Doh Rofl
    And for that purpose, I agree with a 7ft or longer rod (I use a 8' BnM FnF rod or a 9' ESP ... when "bobber fishing") Although I "have" used rods up to 8ft long to shoot docks with ... I just don't do it as a rule. I'm more partial to my 5' Quantum or 5'6" ESP when I'm specifically dock shooting. Even my 6'6" Powerlite ESP rod is used on occasion ... especially when I'm casting the banks between a line of docks that I also plan on shooting. (just because I already have it in hand).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

maybe i dont understand wat "dock shooting" is. i thot it was wen u pitchd a bobber around docks.

Post Thanks / Like

lol. i just lookd on youtube. i found out wat it is. i was totally wrong. never fishd like that before, although i used to cast like that as a kid wen i was bored and in the playing mood. lol. anyhow i learnd something new today. heard its popular on my local lake. mite giv er a try. we always use a slip bobber. ima try this out sumtime. looks like yellow line or hi viz line will b good. i understand y u guys use the short rods now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast