Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of handheld gps do you like?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What kind of handheld gps do you like?

What kind of handheld gps do you like. I started looking. What brand do you like and model.

Thank you for your help

Post Thanks / Like

This doesn't answer your question, but... If you're going to use the GPS for positioning, make sure you get one with a 10' scale. I have an Etrex (cheap, yellow model from Walmart) and a Garmin (cheap orange one from Walmart), both have a 20' range that makes finding brush piles tough. I use the Gps on my Humminbird depth finder for locating cover. It has a 10' scale and makes finding stuff a LOT easier and faster.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using the Garmin Venture and can usually get right on the brushpiles with it. I have also used Magellan and Lowrance and much prefer Garmin. Make sure the unit you buy has a high sensitivity antenna and is user friendly.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a garmin 68c I think is the model, color version, was ~$150 or so I think, and it has a 9' accuracy per the screen. I use it to mark structure for longlining, but very seldom to I "hit" the mark exactly (it beeps when on the mark) but I usually see the structure on the FF so I'm good with it. It has or I got a 12v power cord so I could plug it in to the boat rather than deal with the AA batteries issue. No problems for the past year. Look at the gps store dot com, thats where I got mine.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the lowrance for years to navagate in the dark, find structure, etc. has NEVER done me wrong Safari is a good one. Also if you can find a used one the lowrance ifinder series are excellent. i have an ifinder hunt and use it for hunt and fish. Personally the Safari would be the one to go with as it is the latest greatest for mid range price. Sierra is abit more technical but it jumps in price as well, probably not worth the differance in price for what ya want to do! Hope that helps

Post Thanks / Like

I have a garmin etrex Hc. Bought it to replace an older eTrex with a mono screen that I was very happy with but started having screen problems after 8 years. Bought the old one as a combo with serial cable, case, and garmin Mapsource software. Bought the new one at Dick's as a combo with usb cable and TOPO 100k dvd for $149.95. I love the New GPS: easy to use, good color, easy to change brightness for different viewing conditions but I hate the software (terribly slow on my 6 yr old XP computer w/2G of memory). Fortunately the Mapsource software recognizes the new GPS. By loading the map of the area I'm interested in and setting GPS detail on Highest, I can get tremendous detail (though it takes more time to redraw). I also can set waypoints for launch points, trouble spots (dams and shoals on rivers) and honey holes on my computer and transfer to the GPS. When I get back, I can save honey holes and other POI to the computer and save that map for the next trip. Need to add a microSD card (new Hc has a slot, old one didn't) which will allow me to have more detail over large area (now limited to about 175 sq miles). Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of information pre-loaded, I'm just talking about topographic detail. The upside of a handheld is you can also use it for hiking, biking, and hunting. The downside is I still need to work out a good mount for my kayak.
    All men are equal before fish - Herbert Hoover

Post Thanks / Like

I have a relatively ancient Magellan colortrak unit. It will usually get me to within about 15 or so feet. A good unit for a $15 ebay item. From the learning curve I would definitely look for something with a good memory card it would make it far easier to backup the waypoints.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend and a DeLorme PN 40. The DeLorme is nice, light years ahead of the Etrex Legend. DeLorme has a PN 60 now that is better than the PN 40.

Post Thanks / Like

Garmin etrex. go on ebay for about (+ - $40 ) get a used one. easy to use . use my water and woods !

Post Thanks / Like

garmin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast