Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salamonie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Salamonie

Fished Salammonie today and caught about twenty small crappies.Had to really look for them.Few and far between.Does anyone know when they will start filling it?Cant wait till they really turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Default salamonie

Hey jim,
    Glad to see you got out! congrads. on catching the crappie even if they were small. I just don't understand whats going on with the size of crappie here on the salamonie, two years ago we finally started getting some nice ones averaging 10'' & better then last year you had to really look hard for any keepers and now this year is heading toward small ones again. This lake has all the ingrediants to produce some real dandies but she's not easy to figure out. What did you catch yours on? I've noticed a lot of people fishing the 105 bridge , is that where you were? To answer your question on the lake level , they are filling it now and at present it is 8.3 ft over winter pool. The goal is to have it at summer pool by the 15th of this month. It should make some very interesting fishing for the crappie usa tournament on the 22nd!
    Are you planning on fishing the tournament? If so maybe I'll see you then . Till then good luck to you and hope you tear em up!!! ......................treepotato

Post Thanks / Like

Jim701 and Treepotato, your both so right of the size of the crappies. Last year I caught a number of small ones as I keep them to eat. I feel that the river channel is loaded and it needs thinned out. I have fished this area most of my life as in the years past I have noticed this cycle a number of times. Please note this year we should see some large fish I hope. I do fish around the 105 bridge with alot of luck... Try the south bank at night this should produce well for you. Another area I like to fish is in the area of Back Creek please note Rush Creek and Small Rush Creek flow in this back channel with a number of tree stumps. Good luck I hope this helps, I do hope to see you both on the water this month. If you happen to see a boat with "Gill Getter" in white letters on a black boat, please pull-up it will be me. I may have an extra Diet Coke onboard...LOL... Should see you on the 22nd...Good Luck!!!!
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish_detective
    Jim701 and Treepotato, your both so right of the size of the crappies. Last year I caught a number of small ones as I keep them to eat. I feel that the river channel is loaded and it needs thinned out. I have fished this area most of my life as in the years past I have noticed this cycle a number of times. Please note this year we should see some large fish I hope. I do fish around the 105 bridge with alot of luck... Try the south bank at night this should produce well for you. Another area I like to fish is in the area of Back Creek please note Rush Creek and Small Rush Creek flow in this back channel with a number of tree stumps. Good luck I hope this helps, I do hope to see you both on the water this month. If you happen to see a boat with "Gill Getter" in white letters on a black boat, please pull-up it will be me. I may have an extra Diet Coke onboard...LOL... Should see you on the 22nd...Good Luck!!!!
    Hi fish detective,
    I too have called the salamonie home nearly my whole life. We have probably crossed paths before. I will be looking to meet you sometime on the water and take you up on that diet cola , due to me being diabetic it sounds really good. If you see me please introduce yourself , would love to meet you. I drive a 2000 f-150 , silver with a chicago cubs plate on the front ( GO CUBBIES!!!! ) and I fish from a black skeeter with a white 60 hp johnson on the back. looking forward to meeting you and good luck in the tourney, hope you find some bigguns!..........treepotato

T-Bone63 Guest

Cool need all the help I can get

Howdy fellers I too will be at the tournament on the 22cd never fished one before can hardly wait. I have also never fished Salamonie or Roush lakes the guide says that 8 out of 10 prizes were won off of Roush last time . what to do where to go?????? ,,, any advise. Thanks good luck. I'll be in a Alumaweld bass boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Salamonie

OK guys I'll be over to Salamonie over Easter weekend for sure(Friday or saturday). I would love to run into you guys. If the water is on the rise does that mean that all the ramps should be usable??? I like to use the one just south of 105 and east. That way I fish the bridge on my way through to a few other spots. I'll do my part in thinning the small ones. I plan to eat crappie next week for 2 dinners.

What are they catching them on????

I'll need to get a 2006 ramp sticker, will the DNR be at the ramps???

I hope it works out. I'll be giving up a real good Lake Mich bite to crappie fish. Went last week and got 22 coho and 2 browns.

See you guys on the water...
    I'll be lookin for the black Skeeter and the Fish Detective boat. I'll spot that cubbie plate(I love my cubs too). I'll be in a blue and white deep V Lowe Fishing Machine and driving a grey Explorer.

Side Note.......I work for Ford. Any one looking to get one I can help out.......
    Last edited by Rock Bottom; 04-09-2006 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

I was fishing in the mouth of the first cove on the right when you pull into Pirates Cove.We were fishing in 10'to 15' of water,5' to 6' deep.Using slip bobbers and minnows.It seems they really arent relating to much cover.Suspending in deeper water.We found them with the fishfinder and started fishing.Couldnt get to my regular spots because the water was still to low.Found some new spots to try though.No, I dont think I will be fishing the tournament.I would like to go watch the weigh in though. I have an older bass tracker with a 40 horse merc.I drive a blue 95 blazer. If you see me stop and let me know where all the fish are.LOL
    Hey rockbottom,
    I doubt if you will catch anyone working the ramps when you get there.I would call the office there and make sure they will have the stickers available when you go.I think you can order it online but not sure how long it will take to get to you.I have heard some guys say 4 days but not sure.I think there is like a 4 dollar shipping charge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JIM701
    I was fishing in the mouth of the first cove on the right when you pull into Pirates Cove.We were fishing in 10'to 15' of water,5' to 6' deep.Using slip bobbers and minnows.It seems they really arent relating to much cover.Suspending in deeper water.We found them with the fishfinder and started fishing.Couldnt get to my regular spots because the water was still to low.Found some new spots to try though.No, I dont think I will be fishing the tournament.I would like to go watch the weigh in though. I have an older bass tracker with a 40 horse merc.I drive a blue 95 blazer. If you see me stop and let me know where all the fish are.LOL
    Hey rockbottom,
    I doubt if you will catch anyone working the ramps when you get there.I would call the office there and make sure they will have the stickers available when you go.I think you can order it online but not sure how long it will take to get to you.I have heard some guys say 4 days but not sure.I think there is like a 4 dollar shipping charge.
    Jim, I will be there on the 22nd I was going to fish the event but I am on call that weekend and just knowing I would get into the fish and would get called out well it would not be a good site. I will be on the water threw out that day I hope to meet you that day.
    Hey I seen where you were fishing please note when the water gets up to summer pool you will find that area is hot... Along that channel there is a very nice limestone shelf that holds fish on the hot summer days. Need anything please feel free in sending a PM. Good Luck!!!!!

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

I went out today just after noon and located a few near the 105 bridge.. A number of small ones were caught but hey I got out....

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

Jim701 thanks for the info, it saved my trip. I was able to get a sticker early.

Fish Detective, sorry I missed you. I was out about 8am or so and left about noon. Marked a ton of fish right out from the Dora ramp and the cove northeast of there. Only caught small ones though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast