Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat experts on spider rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat experts on spider rigging

I'm quite aware that there isn't a perfect boat, or even close. They all have pros and cons depending on the type of fish and fishing. This question is solely based on spider rigging/tightlining/vert. trolling.

Of the aluminum hulls (no glass), which style hull actually would minimize the bouncing on choppy water? I'm looking into another boat, and I'm starting to lean more towards a V series, but I'm starting question whether it would be the best option. I know the weight of the boat will make a difference, but there still should be a more preferred hull if this is the main concern...right?

Post Thanks / Like

V-hull with a raised front casting deck. Similar to design of Tournament V series of boats from Tracker Marine-I don't like the storage in this boat but it is a good representation of the design I'm talking about. I am moving back to a deep v for choppy water/waves because my shallow mod-v is too tough to fish in bigger water.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not an expert but. A v-hull semi or deep is the best for chop when taking straight into it being that it is designed to cut into the waves. Wider platforms like bass boats are best for chop coming at your side or at a funny angle and are the most versatile hence most pro teams use them in every situation. And for spidering in my opinion you dont want a high casting deck you want to be low for a couple reasons. The higher you are the more top heavy and thus more wobble and movement is translated into your poles. And the higher you the more of a shadow you cast which in true deep water dosent matter but in spawning mode, 6ft or less especially in clear water, they notice shadow.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Been waiting for somebody to pipe up on this to see what the consensus is. Very hard to say since you can't get an apples to apples comparrison. Strictly speaking about fishing, not riding, I think the Mod V along the lines of a Bass Boat would win out....again, if you could get apples to apples.

Take two boats...a Mod V and a Deep V. Both 17' Long, both rigged with 90 4 strokes, both weigh exactly the same:

1) Weight distribution - Deep V would most likely win as the fuel is usually located more forward and sometimes the batteries. More weight forward would keep the nose displacing as much water as possible and most likely, in turn, rise and fall less. The Mod V will most likely have fuel and batteries in the rear and it's balance point will probably be further back.

2) Deck height - Again, the Deep V would most likely win. The closer you are to the center of gravity, the less you will actually travel as the boat pitches and yaws.....on most Mod Vs, the deck is higher than the Mod V, so even if the boat is traveling up and down, you will feel it more on a Mod V.

3) Displacement - Here's where the Mod V probably wins, but I can't prove it. Given the design of a Mod V, there is more contact with the water over a larger area on the bow. This contact will distibute force over a larger area causing more displacement accross the bow section of the boat, so as you come down, the floatation and displacement takes over to slow your decent and decrease how far you decend. In addition, I think the roll on a Mod V is dampened compared to a Deep V for the same reason. Like I said, I can't prove it, but there's my theory.

4) Effects of wind - Hands down, the Mod V has a lower overall profile and will be pushed in the wind less.

Having said all that...most Deep Vs have very limited front width and length and for that reason, with only some exception, I choose to go with a Mod V in my preference. But the rub is....ya can't get more than one apple at a time to compare side by side...therefore, your mileage may vary.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Really? I must have said at least 3 or 4 ignernt things in my reply and had to have been wrong about at least half the time. Not only that, but I'm Wannabe and nobody even bothered to call me a gewber.

I'm really dissappointed in you fellas. Ya'll are slacking in your old age.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

I am questioning your displacement theory. Unfortunately, that's my main concern. I see the V as not being affected as much, because more of it is already in the water. A semi v would be closer to that of a flatbottom, which is kinda riding on top of the water.

Post Thanks / Like

There are other hulls to consider.

The deep v's will ride great in rougher water, the problem is their sides are higher, and catch more wind causing boat control issues, and when spider riggin, the wind ain't your friend!!! The mod v's will beat you to death in rough water. They slap the waves when your traveling from place to place on the lake, and in a brew ha ha storm, they're a bad ride. The plus is that they do have a low profile when the wind is blowing, and it always does, making it easier to control the boat. When spider riggin, as with most types of fishin, boat control is the most important factor when it comes to catching fish.

There is another type of hull that solves the rough riding issue and the boat control issue. It's called a Pad Ride Hull, like you get on a glass bass boat. It gives you smooth rides on rough water and it still has a low profile to beat the wind.

That being said, the next factor in your decision should be weight. If a boat is to light, the wind and wave action will make it bounce in the water more, causing your poles to bounce more. (Capps and Coleman actually fill their boat with water to add weight on windy days.) You want a heavier made boat so it will plow into the waves more, and not bounce as bad. Most tournament guys buy glass boats for this reason. There ARE a few aluminum boats on the market however that have all of the features I've described above. (Here comes the Pitch. LOL). You need to look at the Xpress H-18PFC, and test ride one if you can. I sell them, and you're welcome to test drive my demo if it's possible for you. It has the Pad Ride Hull (Xpress calls it a Hyper Lift Hull) with an 18 degree Rake (the V under the bow), it has a huge 94" Beam Width for lots of interior room front and back, it has a Low Bass Boat Profile, a Low Front Deck, Dual Live Wells, Three Across Seating, and the boat is built Heavy enough not to bounce you around in a stout wind, which is what I love about my demo. They are also fully foam injected with aluminum stringers, and they come standard on a custom fit Aluminum Trailer. Xpress offers this PFC boat in a 17' and a 20' also. You can look them up at
    http://www.xpressboats.com

There are other nice boats out there, but you owe it to yourself to look at the Xpress. If you decide to look, and ride in one, just call me at your convenience. I'd really like to show you one!!!! 870-635-0202.

Thank You, Bill
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

The heavier your front end is and the more it knifes down into the water (how much V is has) the happier you will be because you wont move much. There really isnt another factor to consider other than those two when you are talking about actually sitting up there and fishing spider rigs. Simple as that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kman View Post
    The heavier your front end is and the more it knifes down into the water (how much V is has) the happier you will be because you wont move much. There really isnt another factor to consider other than those two when you are talking about actually sitting up there and fishing spider rigs. Simple as that.
    I think Kman just called me ignernt. My faith in this site has been redeemed.

Best advice I can, or anyone can give you is to ride in as many differnt boats as you possibly can before you decide.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe...;1664071[B
    ]I think Kman just called me ignernt. [/B] My faith in this site has been redeemed.

Best advice I can, or anyone can give you is to ride in as many differnt boats as you possibly can before you decide.

Wannabe...
    Never. I actually thought you had some good points sir.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast