Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Painting My Boat Trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Painting My Boat Trailer

I need some advice on painting my boat trailer, its an jon boat and trailer I aquired but im just painting the trailer for now.

If there is rust, do i need to do something in addition to painting?

What kind of paint is the best for painting this?
    An Armed Society is a Polite Society, Manners are Good when One May Have to Back up his Acts with his Life-Robert A. Heinlein on the 2nd Amendment

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't Paint Over Any Rust

Cooler first remove the rust what ever it takes sand blasting best, wire brush on drill, usely the navel jelly type products you are throwing money away. Nothing takes the place of good old elbow grease. when you get rust off prime it. And put finish coat on it your local hardware store will have some Rustolem paint or an equivelent. I don't now if it is spot rust or all over but if you can sand blast it. I am fixing to go through the same thing with a trailer, I have the boat sanded down and going to prime it with Zinc oxide primer the only thing that I now of that will prime aluminum. Good luck
    MAKE SURE THE PAINT IS FOR METAL.
    mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

Hey cooler. You should get all the rust off. Any area that you have any pits or areas that you can't get to use some rust converter that turns the rust to primer. When I painted mine I used rustoleum spray cans and it is as nice now as it was 1 1/2 years ago. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a nice paint job.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

i painted an old trailer about 4 years ago, i went to a store like Rural King, Big R, Farm and Fleet or a similar store and buy paint that is intended for farm equipment it is reasonable pricewise and does an excellent job. it is cheaper than rustoleum because you are not paying for a name

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magnum500
    Hey cooler. You should get all the rust off. Any area that you have any pits or areas that you can't get to use some rust converter that turns the rust to primer. When I painted mine I used rustoleum spray cans and it is as nice now as it was 1 1/2 years ago. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a nice paint job.
    I think you are referring to Ospho. It will stop the rust and is a primer.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va