Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: best lake around Little Rock to Crappie fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default best lake around Little Rock to Crappie fish

Hi, I'm new to fishing in Little Rock and unfimilar with the area, so could yall let me know of some good fishing lakes close by for crappie fishing?
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Anywhere with water!!!!
    I like conway, b/c it is close, but the little maumelle is nice too.

Post Thanks / Like

what's the next closest lake besides conway?

Post Thanks / Like

Little Maumelle....Or anywhere else on the AR river.

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone still fishing at Tulls / willow beach down on the north side of the river by David Terry lock and dam ? If so that's real close to town.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I fished willow beach a couple of weeks ago and couldnt get a crappie to hit. caught alot of small bass though.

Post Thanks / Like

There is Faulkner Lake out by the airport but I do not know anything about it. there are a lot of cypress in it and it looks good. I am not sure where there is a public launch at either.

Post Thanks / Like

I am by no means a crappie slayer but prior posts are a good start. Conway is good if you are not afraid to work around a lot of timber-(most of it just under the surface) I love Little Maumelle, it just looks like there should be a crappie at every tree. I think Faulkner Lake is pretty much private, but have heard it is tough to catch fish other than at night on Yo-yos. Just hearsay. Spent many days and nights on Tull, Just across the river towards Scott. Wife and I caught our personal biggest crappie there years ago.
    It has went through some "ownership questions" and the people who live around the lake dont seem to want anyone else on it, but it is still fished pretty heavy. I have heard stories about them putting nails on the ramps in the past so I have avoided it.
    Cross the I-440 river bridge going towards Memphis and take the first Exit to the right and you will be on England Highway #165. You will eventually get to Tulls if you take the Scott exit. Stay on #165 and you will eventually come to England. At first stoplight is Highway #161 to the right. You will eventually come to Clearlake. It is private with a $5 dollar launch fee. It is a shallow oxbow lined with cypress, but they are on land at the moment. Just fished there once. but going again Tuesday. About 25 miles from river bridge on 440.
    Continue on a few miles (3 or 4) not far, and you will see a sign for Plumb Bayou, a long "ditch" that goes forever. Tons of cypress with a good channel in the middle,room for everyone.(very high at the moment)In the same vicinity is Lake Hensley and Brodie Bend. Both oxbows that connect to the river and charge a small fee to launch. Directions are a little more complicated. Willow Beach has a small lake that is limited to trolling motors only (you cant even have an outboard on the floor of your boat) I have heard good reports from there, and you can access the river from the park.
    Lots of options within 50 mile radius, from oxbows to big lakes like Maumelle or Conway, to the Arkansas River.

Jr Slab Guest

Default LR Crappie

I've been down to clear lake a time or two, and it always seems like the quality of crappie is poor. It sure is a good looking lake, but may not be worth the drive down to England. As for Plumb Bayou, it is often VERY muddy this time of year, and can be a big disappointment after a drive from LR. Conway is the way to go if you have sufficent boat, and time. Once you find'em, you can't get out of 'em. Never been to Little Maumelle, but I've heard some good things from that place.