Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Rods?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Rods?

After my little panfish rod last week, i've been looking for something to replace it with. I still have the little reel, just need a rod.

I was looking at some crappie rods and i can't understand why they are so long? 7 to 16' feet? Why are they that long?

Post Thanks / Like

crappie rods are long for several reasons.

1. trollers use long rods so that they can get the lure out away from the boat...which spooks the crappile less. also trollers use different length rods on the boat so that they can keep there lures from getting tangled.

2. for jigging, long rods allow you to drop the bait right over the structure holding the crappie so that you don't have to place your boat so close to the structure...which would require you to cast to the structure possible making more noise and again, spooking the crappie.

those is just a couple of examples.

for trolling, i use the roger gant "the difference" rods in 9 ft length. and for jigging i use the sam heaton rods in 9ft. the longer rods certainly have their purpose but i find them cumbersome in a boat as small as mine. but i'll buy a few when i get a bigger boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 5' ugly stick ultra light rod for crappie and it works fine for me but I also have some in 7,8,9 and 10 foot lengths which i use as well. I do allot of bank fishing so the shorter rods works really well for me, not always allot of room to cast a longer pole from where I fish. I would go with a length that you are more comfortable with for unless you are trolling or vertical jigging from a boat with those longer 10 foot plus rods they are pretty awkward and over kill IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCarter View Post
    I was looking at some crappie rods and i can't understand why they are so long? 7 to 16' feet? Why are they that long?
    It depends on what you want to do. I just cast jigs, and all my rods are 5-7'.

Post Thanks / Like

We need this topic added as a Sticky. Some one asks about 2-3 times a week.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

To make this a sticky would make too much sense. The mods are to busy moving posts around from one cat to the other...

Post Thanks / Like

Like cranks 101, we would have a place to send people to read the threads about different rods. Maybe a new category. JMO
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope !! ... won't be no sticky, and won't be no new catagory forum.

We already have an Archives forum, search feature, and enough stickies. We can't compartmentalize every question or aspect of Crappie fishing, into it's own seperate forum. (Otherwise, FloridaSpeck's statement would ring truer than it does now)

While it may seem cumbersome to some, to see repeat questions ... there's no rule that says any one person "has" to answer them. It's voluntary. And, as I see it, the question was answered well enough, prior to the suggestions.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    We already have an Archives forum, search feature, and enough stickies.
    ... and, from what I've seen, they are mostly ignored, particularly by the people who woud benefit the most: newbies.

That's too bad. There's a ton of info on this site. You just gotta look.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris you used a 5 ft and a 6'-8" rod when we fished together. Which one felt better to you while casting and jigging. Each had a purpose.
    Brad gave you the best answer as to why they are so long. The really long ones also work well, bank fishing to get out as far as you can to work a dead fall, without casting and getting hung up a lot. EB

I will be having a Garage sale coming up with a lot of fishing stuff on it. Either this week-end or next week-end.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast