Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smithville 10/1

Post Thanks / Like

Default smithville 10/1

First. It's unbelievable that it's October already!

Now for today's report.

We hit the brush piles shallow in and around Little Platte Beach. Nada, zip in shallow. Nary a nibble. Then we moved to another pile out a bit deeper there. We caught about 20 altogether with 8 keepers all but one over 10", but nothing over 11".

We also tried the brush piles near the Litton Center and didn't get a nibble. Same with dipping trees down south. Finally we tried a pile on the east side of the Collins Rd bridge and surprisingly didn't get bit. My wife did catch the last keeper on the way under that same bridge.

Minnows. Minnows. Minnows. They didn't even look twice at any of the jigs we put in front of them, even when tipped with a crappie nibble.

There you have it. Hoping to be back out next Sunday. Hope to see some of you out there then. OR, if I'm lucky I may get out again during the week this week.

Good fishing everyone.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the report. jacomo just got done turnin over and when i was at smithville saturday morn it looked like it was starting to turn over.could be the reason for the bad bite.i caught 10 crappie with 2 keepers.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report and congrats to both you guys. Sounds like some of the fish have pulled off the brush following the bait now. Thanks for posting.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it was a lot slower than last weekend, but still caught fish. Nothing to take pictures of. I hit the bridges a little bit and picked up a few, hit the old haunts and picked up one or two here & there. Heading back out monday morning to give it hell! Anyone know of a bait shop that opens before what seems like noon, or at least on time?

Post Thanks / Like

in ectonville off of 92 at the gas station.think they are open 5 am to 10 pm.

Post Thanks / Like

nice report and nice weather to enjoy your trip..congrats on the catch

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Snake, I forgot all about that place!
    Quote Originally Posted by snakedodger View Post
    in ectonville off of 92 at the gas station.think they are open 5 am to 10 pm.

Post Thanks / Like

SnakeDodger....

Any chance you can help me understand what the "turnover" is and how it affects fishing?

Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

the warm water meets the cold water. i guess the fish dont know whats going on and shut there mouth.you can see bubbles and what looks like a oil slick around the bubbles.somebody here will know more than me.

Post Thanks / Like

Fall Turnover

With the arrival of fall and cooler air temperatures, water at the surface of lakes cools, becoming almost as heavy as the cooler bottom water. Strong autumn winds move surface water around, which promotes mixing with deeper water. This is fall turnover.

As mixing continues, lake water becomes more uniform in temperature and oxygen level, allowing fish to move around freely. Fish can be difficult to find as long as these conditions prevail, usually continues until the weather turns cold, chilling the lake's surface.

This is a general rule for fall turnover and is not specific to a particular lake or fishing conditions for a specific fish. However, in shallow areas you will see the bubbles and other organic matter floating sometimes, as it is the residual dead zone that was created during the hot summer weather patterns, once the turnover begins it reduces the dead zone's area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast