Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Email from U. S. Public Interest Research Group

Post Thanks / Like

Default Email from U. S. Public Interest Research Group

I received this email today and thought I would pass it on for anyone interested in the envinronment:

Dear U.S. PIRG supporter,

Since winning reelection last Tuesday, President Bush has claimed a mandate to drill in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, pass legislation weakening the Clean Air Act, and pass his polluting, budget-busting energy bill. Despite pledging during the second debate to protect our air, water and land, he's now pushing an agenda that will allow more pollution of our air, water and land.

But all hope is not lost - far from it. Together we have behind us a solid four-year record of stopping the Bush administration's biggest assaults on our environment. Over the next four years, we will continue to count on your support to protect these important rights.

Take the first step now by calling on your senators to stand up to the Bush administration's attempts to weaken our environmental and public health protections. Then ask your family and friends to get involved by forwarding this email to them.

To take action, click on this link or paste it into your web browser:
    http://pirg.org/alerts/route.asp?id=10&id4=ES

To find out more, check out this article in the New York Times all about the Bush administration's plans to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling and weaken the Endangered Species Act and the Clean Air Act:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/08/po.../08enviro.html

Sincerely,

Gene Karpinski
    U.S. PIRG Executive Director
    [email protected]
    http://www.USPIRG.org

P.S. Thanks again for your support. Please feel free to share this e-mail with your family and friends.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default I sent my letter to my Senators from IN

I hope that this drilling in a pristine wildlife area can be delayed for a few more years. We should have plenty of oil when Iraq gets settled back down in a few years.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default There would be plenty of oil now...

...if people would drive efficient cars most of the time and save their SUVs for the weekend.
    Remember all those great incentives we had after the oil embargo of 1974? I got a tax break for installing efficient storm doors on my house and tax breaks were also given for insulation, new windows and heating/air conditioning systems. Every one of those tax breaks went out the window when Reagan went to Washington .GOP : Grand Old Polluters
    I'll write our senators (Voinivich and DeWine), but I'm sure they'll goose step along with the rest of the drones - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    ...if people would drive efficient cars most of the time and save their SUVs for the weekend.
    Remember all those great incentives we had after the oil embargo of 1974? I got a tax break for installing efficient storm doors on my house and tax breaks were also given for insulation, new windows and heating/air conditioning systems. Every one of those tax breaks went out the window when Reagan went to Washington .GOP : Grand Old Polluters
    I'll write our senators (Voinivich and DeWine), but I'm sure they'll goose step along with the rest of the drones - Roberta
    Roberta, I would appreciate it if you would leave your cheap comments about the GOP out of these forums. There is an other topics section that you could leave those comments in. I will refrain from bringing forth all the short comings of the democratic party into this post. Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

Default love it or leave it

Roberta said she is ashamed to be an American
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

I do limit the use of my suv, and I hate the fact that they have to drill in certain areas, but we cant depend on other countries forever. We need another alternative to oil all together, but this hybrid and battery stuff that you have to charge every fifty miles aint gonna get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hydrogen fuel for Motor Vehicles

Actually those hybrid cars look pretty attractive to me. Quite the engineering feat. I hope that you guys all buy one soon and try them out and report back on how they work. LOL

I am in need of a new car and if the gas prices stay this high I will be looking at Fuel Economy as a major factor choosing my next vehicle.

Think how much money you can save if your truck or car got twice the gas milage as your present car. At gasoline prices of $2.00 a gallon for example it would be like paying only $1.00 a gallon as instead of getting 300 miles per tank of gas you would be getting 600 miles and only have to fill up one half as often.

And hydrogen powered vehicles are being tested today as I type this message. Hydrogen can be produced easily out of water using electricity. We have an abundance of Coal still in the USA and we could mine the coal and use it to produce the electricity. We have the infra structure to send the electricty all over the USA today. All we would need is the power plants to produce the Hydrogen gas and new distribution system to get the hydrogen into our cars. That is the hard part buiding hydrogen filling stations all over the country. We won't see that until we start running out of petroleum gasoline products and the price of gasoline gets much higher than $2.00 per gallon. The price where that happens I don't know but it will be someday.

By using hydrogen as a fuel we would clean up the air pollution to a large degree. The coal buring power plants would still have to be better controlled though. But the air pollution from auto's would be cut to zero emissions. There would be nothing but water vapor coming out of the tail pipes of automobiles. And the health problems that are caused by air pollution from automobiles burning gasoline would vanish overnight. No more asthma and lung cancer rates would surely drop. The amount of flue cases and common colds would drop also. The crop damage caused by NOX and the trees dying in the smokey mountains would start to recover as the NOX part of the acid rain would be better controlled. Not all the acid rain components come from automobiles as some comes from burning coal in large power plants . But it's easier to control the smoke stacks of a few major power plants than it was to control the exhaust of millions of personal automobiles and trucks.

Some day the carton (THE JETSONS) may be the way we live her on earth. Clean effecient transportion would be available to us without all the costly effects of the air, land and water pollution that we have to contend with these days.

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    I do limit the use of my suv, and I hate the fact that they have to drill in certain areas, but we cant depend on other countries forever. We need another alternative to oil all together, but this hybrid and battery stuff that you have to charge every fifty miles aint gonna get it.
    Regards,

Moose1am