Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spiderwire....Any good for vert. jiggin'??

Post Thanks / Like

Default spiderwire....Any good for vert. jiggin'??

I have a spool i'm THINKIN' bout puttin' on ONE of my reels to see if i like it or not, it says on the box " 1 LB. diam. and 5 LB. test, the stuff is like hair !! Would like to hear your comments, tips, advice, do's, don'ts and whatever else ya wanna tell me about this line. Thanks and many crappies in your livewells.

Post Thanks / Like

Default spider wire

I have been using that stuff since the day it came on the market, I like it, am close to giving up mono for good.That light a line will have some problems, mostly wind knots, watch your spool for small tangles.The thing thats great is that it wont twist as much as mono.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Spiderwire Stealth. low vis. Good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the heavier stuff (20 lb test/4 lb diam.) and what Iliked about it that the hook will usually straighten if you get hung up in a tree while jigging, rather than breaking off like mono. I now fish exclusively with Ironsilk, which is a reinforced polymer. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Put a little mono on the spool it may slip. lol
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Spiderwire, but changed to 20 pound fireline, and LOVE it. get the smoke color, it works great. I have fished it right beside 6 pound mono, and it works the same.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6# Braided spider wire for my jigs. It does have it's problems, but the strength of it vs. Mono makes it worth it. I have yet to lose a jig while using this line.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that Spiderwire wears the ceramic eylets? I use Fireline and it has not yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless that stuff has changed, I wouldn't use it. Yes, it's light with a high tensil strength, but it wears thin quickly at the knot, and breaks there easily.

I spooled it up quickly when all that, and the Gorilla stuff came out, but it all snaps at the knot. Never had that trouble, in any real/unusual way, with just plain and simple and clear Trilene. The color alone of the new braided lines is enough for me to leave them alone. And you don't need a 20 pound line to catch a 2 pound crappie. The lighter, the better. Match your tackle with the fish.

We're talking crappie fishing here. You just don't need all the fancy/high-tech stuff. The proven winners are all you need. Use #4, 6, 8 clear Trilene. Nothing is better.

Just my .02 worth

Don
    Last edited by croppy1; 04-09-2006 at 07:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

No, you don't need it to catch a 2 pounder, but you might need it to get him out of the middle of of a brush top. I always heard better safe than sorry.:D
    Quote Originally Posted by croppy1
    And you don't need a 20 pound line to catch a 2 pound crappie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast