Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Narrowed my boat search to two options. your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Narrowed my boat search to two options. your thoughts?

Well I'm not planning on actually purchasing until April-May this coming year but I've been trying to figure it out well ahead of time for the financial plan of action. I first started looking at fiberglass since that's what I've always used but I really don't feel like paying 30k+ for a basic bassboat package. I realize there are used boats for good deals but I'm getting a brand spankin' new boat. I like the fact that with glass I don't have to worry about rivets and welds failing since my 13ft 1958 Norris Craft still don't leak a drop. After looking at all the aluminum offerings I've narrowed it between two options. One is the Alumacraft Pro series in 17ft. Positives to this are the Marina where my dad works is a dealer for Alumacraft and they have Yamaha which I really like. I'm looking at about $21,500 with all the stuff I'd want on that boat. If it does need repair, my dad's an outboard mechanic there so I can just hook it to the back of his truck and let it be his problem, heh. This also has the plus of more casting deck room.

Option 2: This is the aluminum boat I first fell in love with. Lund 1675 SS Impact. Biggest draw to this is that when you're in a Deep-V Lund it's the safest, sturdiest feeling boat I know of. It to me feels almost cozy I guess you could say. Plus the higher gunnels would be favored more for totin' my little boy with me. Downside is shooting docks would be abit difficult in it, plus wind. The only Lund dealer anywhere close to here is about 3 hours away which kinda stinks but I don't really see having any issues with the boat itself. The dealer is a Mercury dealer so I'd be looking at a 90 4stroke which I don't know much about how the 4 stroke Mercs are. I've always been diehard Mercury but I've heard some negatives lately on the 2 strokes. I do have a couple local Mercury dealers for service though, unfortunately the Marina my dad works at is not a Mercury dealer. That's about the end of negatives to that though. Storage is absolutely unreal, the sport track system is very nice, and I make no compromises in what I want on the boat. I'm at $31,195OTD on the Lund as follows

-crappie edition(3 bow seat mounts plus aerated bait tank infront of console)
    -fold down rear jump seat/casting deck option
    -heavy duty canvas cover
    -Minn Kota 55lb Terrova w/ I-Pilot
    -bow mount HDS-10 w/ insight
    -console mount HDS-5
    -additional 25 gallon E-Z flow baittank for shad

Probably around $10k more to get the Lund but I don't know if it's worth the difference. If you guys have any input on the two I'm all ears. But I'm not looking at other brand options right now, it will be one of these two because I've looked at about every respectably manufacturer out there and these are the two top choices.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are fishing waters that never get big waves GO CHEAP. If you are fishing a body of water that can go from calm slick to 3 foot seas in 20 minutes, go with the boat that will GET YOU BACK TO THE DOCK. No one ever leaves the boat ramp when the conditions are bad, we all skip it. But how many times have you been in calm conditions and they next thing you know the waves are rolling in? Of the 2 I would go with the Lund if budget is no big deal. For less money you can have F&F Boats in Arkansas build you a custom alum crappie boat that would be like no other where you live, built like a tank, will get you home. Look at Torch's boat on this forum. It's an F&F.

Post Thanks / Like

Well budget isn't so much an option. Heck if I wanted to I could afford a big 50K bassboat but I don't want to. My initial plan was under $33k fully rigged. Usually the local lake is placid unless you hit bigwater during summer daylight hours. Then it can get pretty dang bad at times. I also will be occasionally using it on the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers for catfish.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a thought....
    I know you said you want a new boat, but, I shopped this spring for about 2 months looking at new boats...in the meantime I was checking Craigslist every night. I had recently stopped at Cabela's and spec'd out and priced a brand new Lowe Stinger 175 that I was seriously considering...then one night while searching Craigslist I found the boat that I now own...a 2006 Triton TR186 loaded with every option available!!
    I paid 12,500 for my Triton which had less than 100hrs. on it and was in excellent condition...the new Lowe spec'd out at close to 16,000.
    I got WAY more boat for WAY less money then if I'd have purchased the Lowe.
    I realize that this was one of those "deals of a liftime"...but that's my point...while you're shopping around until next spring then maybe keep an eye out for that "smokin deal" and maybe you can find a better boat for way less money than what you'd spend on a new one.

But I understand...when you want NEW...then you want new.

Just my $.02 Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you might consider is going with a 24 volt & higher lb. thrust trolling motor especially with the heavy Lund. ( I'm actually looking to buy a boat next spring also, I'm going to check out these two boats, thanks for the info.)
    FAITH, FAMILY, FRIENDS & FISHING...... hopefully in that order but honestly, not always!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 17' Lund and wouldn't sell it for anything. I have had it a bit over 3 years now and it's the Explorer Crappie edition designed with help from some good fishing guys from Dallas. I love my 2 huge live wells and the room is very good and I have a 115 HP 4 Stroke Merc which I am happy with and I get top speed about 46 empty with just me and probably 43-44 full and with others in the boat. I would have thought about the 18', but then would have wanted a 150 and then just more money. I am tickled pink with it and since having it I have learned it's made even better and designed better than I thought it was. I compared it to a G3 the same size and I mean length and width. The G3 was good, but in place of engineering it to the max they just doubled all the hull and Lund puts it where it's needed and saved 300 pounds. That is more draft and with extra weight more gas over time. I don't think you can buy a better boat than a Lund and if you can afford it,I say get the Lund for sure and you will never be sorry. Just my opinion!

Just noticed the post about TM and yes a 24 V is best and you wouldn't regret that either. Another great thing about the Lund is the way they balance the weight and make things more accessible like the batteries for my TM. It's right in the floor just before my front deck and right behind that in the middle of the boat is the gas tank in the floor. You never loose sight of the water when taking off either with weight more forward like that gas tank.
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Had a 16' Lund Adventurer/75 Merc. Should have never sold it. I'd go with the Lund, and trade value is always good on them. Good Luck, both good choices..

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Go with the Lund and go up to a 80 lb. thrust 24 volt TM
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I am ordering in to get my boat delivered in Feb. I too want new. I had an 07 war eagle predator a nd it was nice. My dad moved away in 08 and I sold it to get another bass boat but never did. I now can't even think about another bass boat. I had the most fun fishing crappie and sand bass and could still fish bass. The war eagle had a couple negatives that the new xpress 18 foot with hyper hull and layout that really made it exactly want I want. You should definitely look at one. They are quite and ride great. Lowered front deck real wide. Has front and back live wells and bait wells too. I am putting a 115 Yamaha 4stroke. The 90 would be fine but I like the 115. I am getting a good boarding ladder for summer for my wife and I to get in water and float some too. You can also mount removable spider rig set up in front of boat and fish two up front comfortably. I am so amazed. You can get a nicely loaded rig for about 23500.

Post Thanks / Like

Just orderded new lowe stinger195 with 4 stroke 115, 24 volt trolling motor,cover,spare tire,aluminum wheels,two hds5w/insight,structure scan,3bank charger,stainless prop,and 3 interstate batteries .this is a all aluminum boat no wood with huge front and rear decks.two rod lockers, two live wells with bait wells and lots of storage for less than $26,000

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast