Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: evinrude????

Post Thanks / Like

Default evinrude????

any thoughts or comments on the evinrude line of motors....like around a 2000 model....i know its kinda a loaded question, but ive never owned a evinrude, just curious if they are good quility, long lasting motor.....any good/bad/indiff experiences??......thanks for any input, God bless!!

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Howdy James, been a while. I have had nothing but johnnyrudes until this current Mariner that I now own. The newest was a 97 25 hp. All of mine have been under 40hp and have been great to me. I think you would be best to wait to hear from a bunch of the folks cuz the ethanol and aging oil mixture systems cause lots of problems, no matter the MFG. I know the 85 and 115 V-4 model is a truck of an engine, lots of those out there and they do well for the most part. The 135 doesn't have as good a rep as the others for some reason. If I could find a good 115 v-4 I might swap it and my 150 v-6 for better fuel economy. Good luck lookin, and take that little girl fishin.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I have a '94 115 that I am looking to "upgrade" to a similar year 140-150hp. The thing is a tractor of an outboard as stated above with plenty of low-end torque. She has never let me down but is a cold-natured beast. Ethanol is going to eat up any number of components is any engine and I haven't had any issues with regular maintenance and Stabil. I am not a fan of the new E-tec's and BRP support for the older engines stinks in some people's opinion, though I have not YET had an issue obtaining OEM parts. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I would still take an Evinrude over a mecury. If it was me, I would have nothing but a Yamaha Motor. Proof is in the pudding.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Long lasting?? I have a 77 model Johnson 85HP V4, not Evinrude,but not much different, and it runs like a champ and still in great shape.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

There was a problem with the Ficht models around that year but I don't think they made it in a smaller horsepower.

On the other hand, if I was buying a used boat I would not care what was on the back pushing it as long as it was tacken care of. I have bought alot of used boats and some new ones but always seem to be able to find great boats for what I think are great prices.Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2004 200 HO and have been very happy with it has over 400 HR. and no service. Only thing has been a water pump I did it myself.
    Diehard
    Ranger 519 VX 200 HO

Post Thanks / Like

97 and 98 were the really bad years for the FICHTs. So bad that the company was dissolved, rather than being sold in bankruptcy in 2000-2001. It was already on the ropes, and the warranty issues and bad press of the FICHTs killed them. BRP bought the rights to the names and patents and essentially started a new outboard company using some old designs. Before the FICHT problems, they were good motors. After BRP got off the ground, they are good motors. The ones around 96 or 97-2000 I'd be a little leary of, although most of them would have blown already if they were going to.

dkb23 is offline Moderator Illinois Forum and Supermod
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    97 and 98 were the really bad years for the FICHTs. So bad that the company was dissolved, rather than being sold in bankruptcy in 2000-2001. It was already on the ropes, and the warranty issues and bad press of the FICHTs killed them. BRP bought the rights to the names and patents and essentially started a new outboard company using some old designs. Before the FICHT problems, they were good motors. After BRP got off the ground, they are good motors. The ones around 96 or 97-2000 I'd be a little leary of, although most of them would have blown already if they were going to.
    I was waiting for somebody to bring up the old FICHT nightmare of an engine. Stay away from these!
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys.....prob saved me an issue.....God bless all

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast