Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SE Sport Hydrofoil

Post Thanks / Like

Default SE Sport Hydrofoil

Has anyone put this on their boat? Any feedback? I put it on mine last week and have only been out on the lake twice, but it feels like it wants to pull me towards the right. I know it's premature, but I hope I didn't make a mistake by putting it on my motor since I had to drill holes. Thanks for any help. TF

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the hydrofoil but my boat motor has a steering-dampener-adjuster thingy on the bottom of the Anti-cav plate at the rear of the motor. It is also the anode. Yoou just loosen it and turn it to get the boat to trck straight, maybe yours has something similar.

I had a hydrofoil on my last motor and it really caused it to pourpus bad. I had to move the fuel tank to the front of the boat. It did plane faster though.
    If you have arrived here by accident, I suggest panic!

Post Thanks / Like

Rat, what type of boat do you have? Mine is a bass tracker. I have notice a small fin below the cavitation plate and it appears to be adjustable. I had the same problem the first time out with porpoising. The second time out, I didn't have that problem, but it still tends to pull. I don't know if these things are worth the money or not. I guess I will give it a little more time. Thanks for the input. Take Care, TF

Post Thanks / Like

Angry they are

a p.o.j---thats "a piece of junk" .I tried several and they all pulled--bad.Tried the motor thingy--didn't help much--took it off and hauled it to the dump.

Post Thanks / Like

That's it, it looks like a little skeg. You just loosen the bolt and turn it to get it right. I don't know what direction is what, like turn to the left if it pulls to the right or whatever. Just turn it a little and see what happens. It didn't take much on my little boat to make a big difference. But I have a small boat, 12 foot Alu. with a 9.8 Nissan.

I didn't put a hydrafoil on the new motor I just built a transom extender so that the anti-cav plate is just barely under water @ WOT. I get a little venting in bigger waves but not enough to worry about. Picked up almost five miles per hour also. She'll run 26 MPH now.
    If you have arrived here by accident, I suggest panic!

Post Thanks / Like

Sam1, what did you do with the holes your drilled in your plate? Thanks, TF

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Doel Fins, and the SE type hydrofoils and never had a problem with the boat pulling. If you have power trim, try trimming out some when you feel it start to pull. Also, the trim tab on the motor can be adjusted. You want to move the tab in the same direction it's pulling, not the opposite. Looking from the back of the boat, and picturing the boat pulling left. If you move the tab left, you will see that the water current will want to push the motor to the right, thereby correcting the pull. I mention this fact because most folks would assume if the boats going left, you would want to move the tab right. Actually most tabs already have a hook built into them because boats have a natural tendency to pull due to motor torque. Some more so than others due to hull type and HP. I had an I/O boat once that if you didn't trim out while accelerating, it would almost tear the wheel out of your hand. If you trimmed out while accelerating, it ran straight as an arrow.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a SE Sport Hydrofoil on my 92 Bass Tracker and love it.It gets up on plain in a snap where it used to take forever.I had to adjust the little scag fin on the motor to get the boat to track straight when I first got the boat (used).
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one on my 150. It gives me a much quicker hole shot and best of all I can maintain plane at a much lower speed. The only draw back is the T&T very sensitive. Once I got use to it, it was OK. For the pulling. adjust the trim tab like Shellback said. That's what its for. If you have a porpoising problem and you don't have T&T, move the pin the motor rests on in one hole.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation and another thing you might want to consider ....

is putting some "loc-tite" on the threads of the anode skag thingy, when you get it adjusted to where you want it (and it helps counter the pull). I had two loosen up on me and "disappear". ........ cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast