Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a lil help with cathing yellow perch please....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for a lil help with cathing yellow perch please....

Hello all, I live in Southwest Ohio and have a gated community that I own land at that is built around a 300+ acre lake. I crappie fish it pretty regularly but it seems like every time Im out a catch a few of the yellow perch on accident.

The few questions I have are just to help me get started trying to target them.

1. First off, this lakes deepest areas are only around 40ft deep and I here folks catch them deep. Should I be looking in the 40ft areas.............. By the way, there is a thermocline set up at about 25ft as of now. are they like any other fish and will more than likely be at or above the thermocline???? More than anything, where should I be looking in the winter. Thats when I will fish the most.........

2. Are they easy to mark on the depth finder. I know if they are off bottom just a little I can find them but while sauger fishing at the dams I have a really hard time locating the sauger because they are glued to the bottom......

3. Rigging, What would be the simplest thing for me to start off with when trying to target them.

I would appreciate any help that I can get. I would just love to throw in a different species trip every once in a while. Not that crappie fishing gets boring but i have my own landscaping business and fish A LOT in the late fall throught winter. Thank you very very much for all your time

Post Thanks / Like

They basically hang around where the Crappie do only a little deeper. I catch a lot of them while Crappie fishing especially when using minnows. They will hang around close to the bottom most of the time. You can catch them with minnows or nightcrawlers or small jigs. Use the same equipment as you do for Crappie. They like Crappie are a schooling fish. Use 4 lb line with a split shot about 4-12 inches above a #6 aberdeen hook. If they are bigger than go to a #4 hook. This will get you started and then can experiment after you start catching them. Good luck, They are one of my favorite tasting fish to eat. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

try a wax worm under a small bobber, they will tear it up

Post Thanks / Like

yep. and they like bright n flashy lures. like horse heads and spinner rigs. wen we do it in minnesota, we get em walleye fishing from 3 ft to 12 ft deep. we set up on weed lines n anchor and cut up minnows in pieces and put em on a jig and a bobber. they are tasty lil critters

Post Thanks / Like

appreciate all you fellas help. I was under the impression these fish were fish that liked being deep all the time???? Guess I was wrong, just figured they were like a walleye. I was crappie fishing today and there was a fella on the bank and caught 2 pretty good yellow perch just casting out with a night crawler and bringing it back the the bank slowly on the bottom..........

Here is a question I am pretty interested in. Do they prefer soft bottoms or rocky gravely bottoms. This lake has them both. He caught the 2 from the bank on just a muddy type bottom......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait for Perch

Not sure this will help but when I go to the Fingers Lakes of New York each summer we use Dobson (Helgamites) and the yellow perch
    love them along with rock bass. We rake them out of the rivers in the area. If you can find them try them and you will be happy. We fish about 15 to 20 feet of water. Great eating fish too. Good Luck.
    Go Navy

Post Thanks / Like

They like a muddy bottom most of the time, but will be on a rocky-gravel bottom too. They will be along a weed line if you have one. Depth depends on where their food supply is at the season. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

All panfish eat the same things, including lures. I've caught perch from 3" to 14" using the same 3" soft plastic I pour as well as white perch, sunfish, bass, pickerel, gold shiners and, of course, crappie by the boatload. If I had to chose three lures to catch all the above, it would be the two (shone) and flash jig made of irridescent mylar hair.

My rule of thumb for line and lure size:
    1/16, 1/32 or 1/64 oz jigheads
    8lb test braid or 6 lb test Trilene or Suffix mono
    soft plastic length between 2" - 3" (3.5" for large fish)

Location: weeds are my favorite cover to start with when fish aren't schooled; pads always seem to hold panfish and therefore the bottom is soft. But perch and other panfish many times are near rock walls surrounded by soft bottoms and schooled together in the same areas.

Depth is where you find them seasonally and depending on weeds and weed pockets. I've ice fished and caught over 50 in 3' with heavy weeds beneath; I've caught the same amount in 7' when I've discovered a school relating to nothing. Right now, the fish are stacked in the dying pads of my lake and you can't miss vertical jigging or flipping.

Ultralight rods are the way to go for the best sensitivity and so as not to tear the hook out after it's set, especially using braid. The rod I recently found to be fantastic for flipping or dipping pad pockets is a 15' crappie rod sold by Gander Mountain for 29 bucks. The reel is not used to reel in fish - you set the hook and pendulum the caught fish towards you, holding the line taut.

For horizontal casting in open water, I love my 6.5' UL rod and light spinning reel. With braid, the 1/32 oz jig and plastic cast almost 30'.

Panfishing is not rocket science and KIS is the rule as well as experiencing the water as much as possible and keeping notes (at first).

I love catching big panfish on light tackle far more than bass or pickerel. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    All panfish eat the same things, including lures. I've caught perch from 3" to 14" using the same 3" soft plastic I pour as well as white perch, sunfish, bass, pickerel, gold shiners and, of course, crappie by the boatload. If I had to chose three lures to catch all the above, it would be the two (shone) and flash jig made of irridescent mylar hair.

My rule of thumb for line and lure size:
    1/16, 1/32 or 1/64 oz jigheads
    8lb test braid or 6 lb test Trilene or Suffix mono
    soft plastic length between 2" - 3" (3.5" for large fish)

Location: weeds are my favorite cover to start with when fish aren't schooled; pads always seem to hold panfish and therefore the bottom is soft. But perch and other panfish many times are near rock walls surrounded by soft bottoms and schooled together in the same areas.

Depth is where you find them seasonally and depending on weeds and weed pockets. I've ice fished and caught over 50 in 3' with heavy weeds beneath; I've caught the same amount in 7' when I've discovered a school relating to nothing. Right now, the fish are stacked in the dying pads of my lake and you can't miss vertical jigging or flipping.

Ultralight rods are the way to go for the best sensitivity and so as not to tear the hook out after it's set, especially using braid. The rod I recently found to be fantastic for flipping or dipping pad pockets is a 15' crappie rod sold by Gander Mountain for 29 bucks. The reel is not used to reel in fish - you set the hook and pendulum the caught fish towards you, holding the line taut.

For horizontal casting in open water, I love my 6.5' UL rod and light spinning reel. With braid, the 1/32 oz jig and plastic cast almost 30'.

Panfishing is not rocket science and KIS is the rule as well as experiencing the water as much as possible and keeping notes (at first).

I love catching big panfish on light tackle far more than bass or pickerel. Good luck.
    Man, thanks for typing all that up. I appreciate it a bunch.

The only issue Im running into is finding the little buggers. This lake Im speaking of is more devoted to the "recreational boaters, skiers, tubers" so there is no weeds in this lake what so ever. NO pads weedlines to fish nothing..... BUT what I do have are lots of points and drop offs. how would they relate to this???

Here is the quesiton I have. Will these fish be off the bottom enough to mark a school of them??????? Like sauger below a dam, I have a lot of trouble marking them because they are belly to the bottom and don't show arches. I figure these would be the same way???????????????????

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you need to find schooled fish, which for the most part are well off bottom. In the lake you describe, I don't have a clue if weeds, boat docks and rock walls aren't present. There is only one lake like that that I fish and it's only for bass and lake trout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast