Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best Rod/Reel Combos for kayak?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Best Rod/Reel Combos for kayak?

I have a sit-in style kayak (Ascend FS12). I've been using it for crappie fishing and yesterday evening I was easing up to brush piles in about 8 ft of water and dabbling jigs into them. I caught a few, but nothing to brag about. I was wondering what some of you favor for this style of fishing. Would a 7ft rod work well with a kayak? it would be nice to be able to stay away from the brush piles a little more and have the extra whip to cast 1/32 jigs. What's a good rod to be able to feel the slightest bites? Should I go L or ML? I've just been using a short little UL rod. It works well, however, I guess my main goal is to stay away from brushpiles a little bit further without sacrificing manueverability in the yak from hauling a giant rod around.

Post Thanks / Like

What I use for jigging is usually a 9' Flyrod in a 7/8 wt. with a small Zebco triggerspin reel on it. I use 4 of them for spider rigging and only 2 of them when I'm jigging the brush piles and trees that have fallen into the lake. I also have 2 10' BnM's with bottom seats that I use sometimes, but I don't do much casting jigs for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Use any rod you want. Longer rods are to maneuver a fish around the bow but that rarely happens. Length of the butt matters more to me than rod length. I hate when they get caught on my gut/pfd. I have even chopped off some of the butt on some rods (it does change the rods but it is well worth it for kayak fishing).

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught limits of crappie dipping minnows and jigs with my 12' pole. When I'm using that setup I usually also have a 7' ul in the holder behind me with a jig in case I'm too close to use the long rod on a target.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks... i may try and get a 12 footer... i bought a 7.5' fenwick last week, and now that i've used that, I think I should be alright with a 12