Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing with EB today.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing with EB today.

Meet with EB around 8am, went to one of his favorite fishing spots, Beaver Lake around 9am. Hard to believe a lot of the tackle shops are sold out of minnows, but we managed. Caught a few crappie early in the morning, moved locations around the rim of the lake, mostly on the south side i guess where the shade was. EB caught quite a few perch and I caught quite a few bluegill. But we made switches from minnows to jigs as the day wore on. Probably caught about 18 crappie, 10 were keepers. Too many perch and bluegills. But we had fun. I caught my first crappie on a jig instead of live bait so that is another accomplishment i can rack up.

I'll leave it to EB to post some pictures of the catch and put in his side of today's fishing trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you wore him out Chris. Sounds like EB's doing a good job of converting you to the jig also. With the minnow shortage you can keep practicing the jig bite. How about spoons, have you fished much with them, they're another excellent choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Went fishing with Chris yesterday and caught a few to stink up the fry pan. Most of the baits shops were out of minnows so I took the few that I had left over from the last fishing trip. We started out with minnows but I was just catching perch with them and Chris was catching Crappie so I let him use the minnows and I switched to jigs and started catching Crappie. Chris switched to jig and I had him use a slider jig and he was catching on it and then they stopped so he switched to a painted head with an umbrella body and didn't do too bad. We tried several different jigs and would go back to minnow and try them through out the day. After lunch the wind went calm and the water was like glass and the fishing really slowed down.We had our best luck pitching around docks and under boats. Caught a few trolling but not like I usually do.
    The water was still 69 by the Dam and 71 over most of the lake.
    Glad you had a good time Chris it will only get better as the year moves on. EB

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Eager Beaver; 09-29-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: not done
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I would have taken a picture of all the fish but these were the only ones that weren't camera shy. Couldn't keep them on the table. No really big ones but just average size. It was a fun day anyway.
    Was glad we caught some anyways. This was the first time I have been completely out of fish. I usually keep some back from the fish fry for seed but this year I didn't have as many as I usually did so I cooked them all.
    I am invited to a Rocky Mountain Oyster feed at the end of Oct. so will provide some fish for the table fair.
    My Sister-In-Law is having one back home and asked me if I could provide some fish for it also. My Brother was the one that hunted Mushrooms and we would have Mountain Oysters, Fish provided by me, and Mushrooms from my Brother. Man, that was a feed and all the neighbors would come even if they wasn't invited. hehe There was always enough for everyone. Kinda miss those days on the Farm. EB

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you boys had fun..Thumbs Up Beav, better put those away for next year's fish fry..Hands Clapping
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

This was the first time my freezer was completely empty of fish. It just didn't look right! EB