Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tried the Spoons!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tried the Spoons!

Picked up several 1/12 oz. Castmasters and Swedish Pimples. In accordance with the In'Fisherman article on spoon fishing for bluegill (crappie & yellow perch as well), I rigged them on a 7' light action spinning rod which used 6# test Fireline and an 18" 6# test fluoro leader (connected by a #8 Spro PowerSwivel).

Cast beautifully! First take was a 14" rainbow! Quite a surprise. Then I caught a small crappie and a decent bluegill. What came after was an even bigger surprise. I caught 9 small largemouths, all between 10" - 13" in length. A decent amount of catching in the span of only a couple of hours....and, fishing from shore! The largemouths didn't "hit" per say. I just felt a bit of "extra" weight and set the hook. They fought well too for such little guys.

I think I'm going to be picking up more of these mini spoons real soon.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Default spoons

After reading the same article and reading some post on bigbluegill,
    I started fishing spoons some for the past week. Today was a real confidence builder
    for me. Caught 25 nice gills and a few crappie and bass on a "super duper" spoon.
    I don't know the size but I think it was the smallest one they make. I tipped it with piece of
    nightcrawler. I let it fall to the bottom in 20 feet of water. I was using 4lb test wally marshall
    green line with the same leader set up as you. I did not change the hook as reccommended
    it the article. I also caught some on a "phoebee" spoon till a fish broke my line. I may have
    misspelled the name of the spoon. Fun day! Let me know how your spoon fishin goes!
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 09-29-2011 at 08:05 AM.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fun few hours of fishing. Congrats.Thumbs Up
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiecrazy View Post
    After reading the same article and reading some post on ****************
    I started fishing spoons some for the past week. Today was a real confidence builder
    for me. Caught 25 nice gills and a few crappie and bass on a "super duper" spoon.
    I don't know the size but I think it was the smallest one they make. I tipped it with piece of
    nightcrawler. I let it fall to the bottom in 20 feet of water. I was using 4lb test wally marshall
    green line with the same leader set up as you. I did not change the hook as reccommended
    it the article. I also caught some on a "phoebee" spoon till a fish broke my line. I may have
    misspelled the name of the spoon. Fun day! Let me know how your spoon fishin goes!
    I have some "Super Dupers" as well. Hadn't thought about trying them, but now I certainly will indeed! How was it for hook removal with the treble? I like the single hook, as all my fishing is C & R.....crimping down the barb easily releases the fish quickly, keeping me in the action! Only thing is, you have to sharpen the singles you buy these days. Haven't found any quality sharp #6's with a large enough eye ring to work well on a split ring. Still looking.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the small teardrop spoons I make for myself for well over 40 years and catch all the crappie and Bluegill I care to clean. They are one of my go to baits.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    I have been using the small teardrop spoons I make for myself for well over 40 years and catch all the crappie and Bluegill I care to clean. They are one of my go to baits.
    I've seen some tear drops in posts here and other places. Suppose to be great fish catchers. Do you sell your spoons?

Post Thanks / Like

Just when I thought I had run out of things to spend money on....:D

Many thanks :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdorman View Post
    Just when I thought I had run out of things to spend money on....:D

Many thanks :D

That is funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sound like someone I know! Me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    I have some "Super Dupers" as well. Hadn't thought about trying them, but now I certainly will indeed! How was it for hook removal with the treble? I like the single hook, as all my fishing is C & R.....crimping down the barb easily releases the fish quickly, keeping me in the action! Only thing is, you have to sharpen the singles you buy these days. Haven't found any quality sharp #6's with a large enough eye ring to work well on a split ring. Still looking.
    Hook removal is pretty easy. I don't do much catch and release fishing. If you find any good
    single hooks, let me know. I would like to try them.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiecrazy View Post
    that is funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sound like someone i know! Me!
    x2

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast