Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Here lizard lizard lizard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here lizard lizard lizard

Heres some pictures of our alligator hunt on lake marion last weekend. He was 6' 11" long and Alligator hunting is the hardest hunting you could do. The state has set up the hunt in order to "scare" the alligators to keep them away from people and pets and it is working for sure. Except for the little 1'-2' babies that were born this year they wont let you get much closer than 15 yards and if they are longer than 7' good luck getting within 50 yards of him. We got on a few but this was one of the bigger ones that we had a shot on. We got on one maybe 8-9 feet long and shot him with a grapple point with a broadhead on the end of it and it didnt stick in him. reeled the arrow in and the blades had been ripped off the broadhead. I figure I hit him in the skull and it just didnt penetrate. We got on this one right after that around 3:30 am saturday morning and after about 2 hours had everything squared away and back to the landing. It took 2 shots with a .22 magnum to kill him (or so we thought) and twenty minutes later he found some strength and decided to give it one last try to get away from us. Luckily we had him taped up and we held his head over the side and gave him one last shot with a S&W .40. The little guy in the pictures i reached down and grabbed as we were going up the bank we probably saw 25-30 of those little guys.
    Name:  IMG_3945.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  41.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_3950.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  35.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3952.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  45.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_3953.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  15.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_3955.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  33.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Choot 'Em!! Nice work there congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

youngin, that right there is a manly undertaking. you and rookie12 should get together and just noodle for them rascals. talk about hunting something that can hunt you back......man.....nice looking lizards......or boots...pocketbooks....wallets.....

Post Thanks / Like

Hahah thanks simple. It sure was fun. But it sure was hard. It made for some long weekends. 6am Friday-7am Sunday without sleep and solid hunting gets to you after about 15 hours and those last 30 will make you delusional.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a 7.5 and a 3.5 footer near Oak Island a few months back. i got some pics somewhere, i'll try and post them up here.

we wern't hunting them tho, we were flounder gigging and started casting fishing lines with shrimp at them. my cousin caught the 3.5 footer first and none of us had ever seen one up close before so we took some pics and let it go. then i saw the bigger one out in the middle of the river so i cast my trout rig at it and snag it on the back leg first cast. 45 mins later and nearly a mile away i get him to the boat on a medium action spinning rod with 10lb test. we get him on deck (14 foot john boat) and haul him back to the dock for a few pics.

turns out there hide is too thick and hard for hooks anyways the hooks never even stuck in on either of them, they just hang on the scales and as long as you kept the tension on you don't even harm them at all (assuming your goal is only for the sport). anyways it was a load of fun and I'm all about going about some bigger ones now =) lol. Thanks for the pics.
    Last edited by Mixon; 11-07-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah some people use rod and reel to hook them and pull them up to shoot them. The hide is almost impenetrable thats for sure. You gotta put a good shot on them with the bow to get them snagged.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to do it!

Post Thanks / Like

You can apply for a tag in June! It only costs $10 to apply, now if you get drawn out then the spending escalates exponentially! For an out of state person it's $350 just for all the paper work to be allowed to hunt. For one person. Every extra out of state person $240 for a three day license and permit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by youngin View Post
    You can apply for a tag in June! It only costs $10 to apply, now if you get drawn out then the spending escalates exponentially! For an out of state person it's $350 just for all the paper work to be allowed to hunt. For one person. Every extra out of state person $240 for a three day license and permit.
    that gets expensive real quick after the yes you won.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah it sure does then you have to buy equipment if you dont already have it, which most people dont, then you have to drive back and forth down there several times depending on how long it takes you to kill one, and you gotta put gas in the boat, motel room, and food.