Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default No minnows

Woke up at 5am this morning and figured my morning was going to start out great. Got my fishing gear ready and went to a local gas station to pick up minnows. Hit a brick wall, no minnows. Guess I'll go back to sleep and try later on in the day, today is Monday, maybe they restock today.

Post Thanks / Like

Cubby's will re-stock today sometime. You can still use jigs and even nightcrawlers. I will use a piece of worm on a jig if I get desperate enough. I never give up if I can't get minnow's That is the time to try different kinds of things. They will bite on something in your tackle box. You just have to figure out what that is. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Well you were right EB, they did have minnows when i went back this afternoon. So that was good. Caught another 5 crappie again at Walnut Creek, however it ended much sooner than i hoped. Broke my crappie rod after getting it stuck on an underwater log or something. So I'll stick the minnows in the frig and hopefully they won't die by tomorrow morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Chris,

Try some waxworms, you can get them at pet stores and they keep in the fridge.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jigs will get 'er done too. I hardly ever buy minnows anymore and I used to would NEVER go without 'em. Take up longlining jigs and you'll forget about buying minnows.Thumbs Up

Congrats on getting out there and catching a few too.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

actually the minnows died, hehe. I guess the temp in the frig was too high and made the cooler and the water inside too cold for them to survive. Oh well guess I'll pick up some more tomorrow. I've never used waxworms, i might have to give that a try.

I'll try and post some pictures of tomorrow's catch.

Post Thanks / Like

You can never get the water too cold for minnows. I have froze them and thawed them out they was ok. If you didn't have them in a styrofoam cooler they may have run out of oxygen if you had a lid tight on it. If you need a bait bucket I have several so you can have one if you need one. EB

Post Thanks / Like

They were in a cooler. Actually it wasn't that they were cold, there is something wrong with the water in the apartment, too much lead or something, I'll have to get it tested. But anyway i went back out to Walnut Creek at 6am this morning, found a couple of other folks out there fishing for catfish. I caught 18 black crappie from the pier again, 11 of them were keepers.

As far as i know there is a 10 in minimum on crappie but no bag limit. So i ended up giving 10 of them to one of the guys fishing for catfish and threw the smallest of the bunch back into the water.

Post Thanks / Like

You can only keep 10 fish that are 10 inches or longer around here. EB

Post Thanks / Like

Chlorine in tap water will kill minnows. Get some chemical used by fish people to neutralize the chlorine. Doesn't cost much and Wally World sells it. Small bottle lasts forever. 10 drops treats a gallon of water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast