Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crappie age

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie age

how long do crappie live in mid state in.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

According to the Berkeley (the school, not the tackle company) site I have bookmarked, ages are as follows:

Black crappie: Sexual maturity 2-4 yrs.; Maximum life expectancy 8-10 years.

White crappie: Sexual maturity 2-3 yrs.; Maximum life expectancy 8 - 10, but few live past 4.

We don't see many black crappie, but I've cleaned some pretty small white crappie that held eggs, so the 2-3 years for sexual maturity sounds about right. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

howdy; Roberta's right about nthe sexual maturity bit. now the book i've got beside me is 'Fishes of Wisconsin'. it's a research book that i've got to use in college. stand by , i'm going to do the quote thing here.
    " Maturity occurs at age II in some individuals, but most white crappies are mature at ages III and IV(Nelson1974,Siefert 1969a, Morgan1954).
    As a rule, the white crappieis short lived;few survive more than 5 years. In an Illinois study (Starrett And Fritz 1957), a natural death rate of over 50%occurred in large broods during thier third year of life." that's from Fishes of Wisconsin; George C. Becker The University of Wisconsin Press; 1983. got to site this stuff or i gets in trouble. anyway, the book weights about 7 pounds got a ton of good stuff on about a couple of hundred fish. feeding habits, spawning, etc. i'm studing aquaculture and fish management. figure that i'll be a good fish manager when i can get the slippery little devils to do what i tell to do. have a good day. hank