Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First visit to a Bass Pro Shops -- in the desert!

Post Thanks / Like

Default First visit to a Bass Pro Shops -- in the desert!

I'm in Las Vegas for a few days on business. A buddy tells me I should check out the Bass Pro Shops while I'm there. I thought "there's no BPS in Las Vegas; it's in the middle of the desert!"

But I was wrong. Lots of fishing on Lake Meade (the lake created by Hoover Dam).

Anyway, BPS was interesting. Of course there's probably more gear there than you'll find in any one physical place. But a couple of things struck me:

1. It's easier to shop on the web. In the store I nearly went mad trying to find weighted tube hooks, 1/8 oz, #2 or #4 hook size. So much easier to find products on the website.

2. More importantly, it drove home the feeling that I've got everything I need, except knowledge and experience. Sure, I could buy more/better gear but that's a waste; nothing in the store would add substantially to my simple set-up. I did buy some Sufix Elite because I want to see if it's really memory-free; some titanium bullet weights to replace the crimp weights I've been using to troll; and a Bait Button dispenser.

Still, it was quite an experience being surrounded by so much gear. But I'd rather spend the time fishing than shopping.

Post Thanks / Like

VEGAS I LOVE IT any BPS show girls?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro Shops are nothing more than eye candy. Oh yea, I love walking thru looking but their prices can be beat most anywhere, especially on the net. I usually spend my money at Academy.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    Bass Pro Shops are nothing more than eye candy. Oh yea, I love walking thru looking but their prices can be beat most anywhere, especially on the net. I usually spend my money at Academy.
    Sure wish we had an Academy close by me, about the only time I get to visit one is when we visit my sister-in-law in Houston or in Mobile, of course most there is saltwater stuff. Did pick up some nice store brand CB's last time I was that way. Carol loves the clothes there as well as BPS but then again she loves to shop clothes anywhere. She really likes Cabala's clothes, they do have some fine stuff but a little hi$ for me, would love one of their good rain suits not that I fish that much in the rain anymore since I retired. The best thing about retirement is that you can pick and choose when you go fishing.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Sure wish we had an Academy close by me, about the only time I get to visit one is when we visit my sister-in-law in Houston or in Mobile, of course most there is saltwater stuff. Did pick up some nice store brand CB's last time I was that way. Carol loves the clothes there as well as BPS but then again she loves to shop clothes anywhere. She really likes Cabala's clothes, they do have some fine stuff but a little hi$ for me, would love one of their good rain suits not that I fish that much in the rain anymore since I retired. The best thing about retirement is that you can pick and choose when you go fishing.
    amen and amen
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

is there a web for Academy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket rich View Post
    is there a web for Academy
    Yes!
    Academy - Academy Home

They have stores in Joplin and Springfield Mo.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

hay bh19 the one in joplin got blew away

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmanmo View Post
    hay bh19 the one in joplin got blew away
    Sorry, I had forgot about that!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team