Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Vacation - Where to go?

infishman Guest

Default Vacation - Where to go?

I'm on vacation the week of Thanksgiving and the week after. Looking for ideas on best place to go for crappie fishing. I know the cooler the better - fish should be schooled up then. So how about it - any ideas? I'm in Northern Indiana - thinking about Reelfoot, Mark Twain, Kentucky Lake, etc. I can really use some input. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well if I wanted to fish at this time of the year and have fun catching lots of crappie I would go to Kentucky Lake and look up Richard Williams. He specialized in winter fishing at Kentucky Lake. He works out of the area of Paris TN and last I heard was stationed at Mansard Island Resort but that may have changed since last year. Here is his phone number in case you want to talk with him and setup a trip if he has an opening. He gets a lot of repeat business from what I hear. 731-644-3793. Contact him by phone or private message via this board.

Those free coke insulators work good Guys! LOL

Another good place to vacation and fish is down in Arkansas with Jerry Blake. Jerry is a great guy as is Richard and you would have fun and catch fish with either guy. Might be a bit warmer down in Arkansas in November but you never know for sure.

Jerry freqents this site more a lot and you should be able to get in touch with him via this board or via private messages or maybe even emails. Jerry's web site is as follows:

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/

Quote Originally Posted by infishman
    I'm on vacation the week of Thanksgiving and the week after. Looking for ideas on best place to go for crappie fishing. I know the cooler the better - fish should be schooled up then. So how about it - any ideas? I'm in Northern Indiana - thinking about Reelfoot, Mark Twain, Kentucky Lake, etc. I can really use some input. Thanks!!
    Last edited by Moose1am; 11-09-2004 at 11:08 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

My Name is Jason Piper and I am down here on Beaver Lake in NW Arkansas. I guide for Crappie, and that is a prime time of year down here for Crappie! They stack up over all the man made brush piles! Usualy most of the fish run 12" or bigger.
    You can reach me at 479-640-3980 or at www.jtcrappieguidear.com
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

i know that grenada lake in mississippi is hot right now. the winning 2 day stringer from the crappiemasters classic a couple weeks ago was close to forty lbs. i also talked to a few guys who went down the week before that and they came back with three coolers of the biggest fish i've ever seen. grenada's only an hour or so south of memphis on 55.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check this out. We go here for a week every spring. Very secluded, all the conviences of home (except phone) and some of the best crappie fishing in the world.
    http://www.kerrlake.com/cottages/index.htm
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Infishman:

We should be tearing them up hear in Hot Springs, Arkansas around that time. Hot Springs - http://www.hotsprings.org/ is a great vacation area, especially if you have family that wants do some other things besides just fishing.

Both of the lakes I guide on should be in real good shape by then. They are dropping Hamilton this week but they will hold it at a steady level after this weekend. Lake Greeson has come up a lot in the last month but it's at a good level now and has been steady lately and should be good if we don't get too much rain.

There are some real inexpensive places to stay on Lake Hamilton. You can get a room with a kitchenette and a dock to keep your boat in for $45 a night during the off season, which is now. Check this link - Long Island Lake Resort

On a half-day fishing trip I could show you enough brushpiles to keep you busy all week if you bring your boat. You can even bring your GPS and mark them if you like. If you don't have a GPS I can show you some you can find without it.

These lakes are underfished for crappie and there's hardly anyone fishing right now since it's deer season. Check the pictures page on my website - http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/pictures.htm - and keep in mind that most pictures are from half-day trips and a lot of the folks haven't crappie fished much.

Our limit is 20 per person and no minimum length but you should be able to catch your limit of 10 to 16-inch crappie.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mark Twain

I dont think Mark Twain Lake is doing very good right now. This summer the lake produce large number of 7" to 9". If you want to travel a little farther, and want to stay on the water. Head down to Lake of the Ozarks, this lake is a good winter crappie lake. There are several hundred, resorts on the water to chose from. I would get around the 8 to 18 main lake mile marker that would get you in the middle of places to fish. There also some nice resorts on the niangua arm of the lake also. Those resorts around 4-7 mile marker on the niangua have there own brush piles to fish that they have put out to help the fishing.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I stayed in Hot Springs on Lake Hamilton two years ago. We fished with Jerry Blake and had an excellent time. He showed us enough places to fish to keep us busy fishing in the mornings.In the afternoon we would go to town for the historic aspect of Hot Springs. It was awesome,lots to see and good restaraunts..The condo we stayed at had docks so my boat was in the water a whole week.I brought my charger and an extension cord for the troll motor battery.The docks had fish cleaning stations and electrical outlets.Jerry asked two things of us while we were there.Not to fish on top of a structure if he was already there and not to keep anything below 9 inches.Jerry is an outstanding guide and if you ask questions and listen you will learn a lot. We absolutely had a great time.I wish I could go back now!
    Last edited by JnT; 11-13-2004 at 09:31 PM.
    Jim and Tammy