Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Can mayflies stimulate crappie to bite super aggressively?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can mayflies stimulate crappie to bite super aggressively?

I believe it happens in some lakes in West Texas. Rain has been severely scarce, but recently showers (just wetting the ground type) have produced some tremendous early morning hatches of mayflies. If a person can find a quiet cove (little to no wind) where this occurs, crappie are being caught at 3-5 feet deep on really old brush or stumps with a crappie jig that has a yellow chartruce head, ginger/or yellow body and a combo tail of yellow chart/ginger in some of the lakes here in West Texas. It might be worth a try, just saying it can be fantastic. That is if you can keep the sand bass from the jig.

Mayflies also trigger crappie under docks that have collections of them hung to the posts and concrete during different times of the year. Cleaning the crappie they reek of a belly full of the little critters.

Good Fishing,
    Ron, Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

question, size of crappie? I would assume smaller to mid size crappie.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Mixture of sizes, 25 is the limit in Texas. I kept 14 crappie and released everything else to fight another day. I did not keep anything below 11 inches, most were 11-12 inches with the largest being 2 at 1.25 lbs. Also, 20 plus sand bass all keepers, but no monsters and they all went back into the lake. So no monsters, but fine eating. Once the sun came out and the wind started blowing it was over with, but is happening as long as the mayflies are out.

Mud

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Sinclair here in GA has massive Hexagenia hatches during the summer. It's like a locust swarm. To the fish, it's like ringing the dinner bell. :D

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I caught a hatch that I believe was mayflies in FL a lot of years ago. For 3 days it was a fish on almost every cast. Anything with white or pale yellow didn't get to move 6 inches without a bigger than average bluegill smacking it like his life depended on it. Good memories. I'll have to keep an eye for them and try to catch the crappie on them this time.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around