Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Worm bed help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worm bed help

After reading alot of post on here I decided to make a worm bed for red wigglers. I got a big plastic tote, put the air flow pvc pipes in corners, and filled with topsoil with peat moss on top. I filled to 8" from top. I didn't add any water yet because I wasn't sure when I would be able to go to the farm to did worms. I haven't cut a hole in the lid yet but thats next on the list. I'm going to get some old screen from a screened in porch to cover the hole. My questions is this, I have added not water the top soil had a little moisture and the peat moss was super dry. I put the lid on not thinking about it and it has started to grow this white mold. Do I remove all the bedding or just the mold, or do I just mix it up and leave it? Will the vent hole in the lid keep this from happening.
    "Living a dream, one sick day at a time!"

Post Thanks / Like

I would remove the mold, it might effect the pH (depending upon the mold type). Remove the peat moss you put on top of the topsoil and hydrate fully with water, let it soak in well for a few minutes or longer. You want the hydrated peat moss to drip water when squeezed. Then add the peat moss back and mix it all up well. Once vented, mold shouldn't occur unless you feed the worms in excess. Just my opinion. Good luck.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

Tracker, Sounds like a good plan. The best thing I have found is a burlap sack. Cut it to fit inside the container. After use a sprinkler system.It could be a plastic container, like a plastic mayonise jar. Punch holes in the top of the cover. Fill with water and let it stand for a day or two to let the chlorine gas evaperate. Sprinkle the water on top of burlap sack and the moisture in the burlap will hold for a few days. I sprinkle twice a week and feed at the same time. It works fine. Hope this helps. If not PM me and we can help further down the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I will remove the mold this weekend and wet the peat moss. We have had some good rain here the last couple of weeks so I should be able to dig some to start my bed at hay rings on the farm.
    "Living a dream, one sick day at a time!"

Post Thanks / Like

Remove all moss the best food is like coffee grinds manuer things that wont grow mold
    Luke:5
    6And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 89ranger View Post
    Remove all moss the best food is like coffee grinds manuer things that wont grow mold
    That is true, but also give them a little...notice the word little....sprinkle of corn meal about twice a week.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I found and I used this blend for two cycles of worms. About 7 months. Here it is. I by two boxes of dry oats and one box of corn meal. I have been collecting eggshells. I put them into the microwave for a little while to dry them out. Crush them with my hands and set them on the side. I collect about 3 dozen eggshells at a time. Put all together, two boxes of dry oats, one box of corn meal, and egg shells in a blender. Mix all until everything is in powder form. Believe me you will have all you need for your worms. Will last a long time. I store all in a large gallon pickle jar. It makes about 3/4 of a gallon. Enjoy.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to add that I keep folded damp newspaper on top of the soil. Yellow corn meal is best.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.