Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about new pond

Post Thanks / Like

Question Question about new pond

There is a man made pond behind my neighborhood. The pond is about 2 years old. I'm not sure if it was ever stocked but some of the kids have caught and released small bream and google eye into the pond. There are tons of minnows in the pond and alot of grass along the banks. How long does it take to for a small pond produce big bream?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't know

I really don't know how long it takes to start producing. But, if you get me permission to fish this pond I will let you know when I start catching some big ones. (LOL)
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

2-3 years should be fine, depending on the size and cover available. But if you want it to be real good, it is always good to catch and release for awhile. Then again if there are too many fish in it they might not get as big. just try it out and see what you get.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless somebody puts some bass in the pond, it'll never produce any big bluegills. Without any predators to thin them out, you'll just ended up with a BUNCH of stunted bluegills.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco
    Unless somebody puts some bass in the pond, it'll never produce any big bluegills. Without any predators to thin them out, you'll just ended up with a BUNCH of stunted bluegills.
    A few months ago, I went fishing at Lake Martin and all I caught was one bass. I didn't have time to clean it, so when I got home I released it in the pond. So I know of at least ONE bass in that pond.

Just the other day my wife was near the pond and said she saw a fish jumping. Maybe it was the our pet bass. :D

I think I'll start keeping some of the smaller bass I sometimes catch and release a few more into the pond.
    Last edited by Crazyhorse420; 04-07-2006 at 07:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon
    I really don't know how long it takes to start producing. But, if you get me permission to fish this pond I will let you know when I start catching some big ones. (LOL)
    Your more than welcome to come fish it. I think it is open to the public. But I'm sure there is probably a better place closer to you to catch some bream. I would hate for you to drive all the way to Lafayette just to catch a few dinks. Thats all we've ever caught in this pond.

Post Thanks / Like

Drop a flathead or two in that pond to keep the gills under control and it wont take but a couple of tears to start getting a few nice panfish out of there.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, it takes about four years to really get the sizes and numbers. But you have to have bass in there, too. And you have to feed the bluegill and keep the pond fertilized. Years 5-8 are dynamite, and that's when you start getting the pounders and up in good numbers. Nothing like sitting on a bed and keeping 25 bulls that weigh almost 25 pounds.

Good luck with it.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the population balanced and you feed or fertilize the pond, you can see some good sized bream in 3 years. I accidentally killed the fish in one of my ponds in 2003. I transfered fish from my other ponds to rebuild the one I killed fish in. I figured this year I might be able to catch a decent size fish. Turns out, I was a year ahead of schedule. Last year I saw piles of bream around the pier and I started feeding. Soon, bigger bluegills started feeding and as a result the other night I caught one bluegill 9" long. It takes a lot of work to properly manage a pond but you will be rewarded in the longrun. It just depends on your goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I didn't want to sound too optimistic , but you are right with good growing conditions, feed, and fertilizer. Did you stock the Florida strain?

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast