Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.9 Prop question

Post Thanks / Like

Default 9.9 Prop question

Alright hear it goes. I have a 15ft 2004 Alumacraft Crappie Deluxe. Been fishing with a 96 Yamaha 15hp 2stroke and it works great and gets on plane great. Just got a really good deal on a 2010 Yamaha T9.9 4-stroke High Thrust with electric start (big lower unit and prop, like mercury big foot). Haven't had time to try it out and wondered if this is an ideal motor for a Jon Boat. I know the high thrust model is made to be a kicker on bigger boats and sailboats.

Anyone have any experience with the High Thrust 9.9. Will I need to re-prop it to get on plane. Would be nice not to mix oil and have 2 years on warranty. One or the other will be for sale shortly since I can't keep both.

Post Thanks / Like

Arent the high thrust kickers long shafts? Is you transom a 20" or 15". I had best luck with a 9 1/4 prop on my 9.9. However that 15hp is WAY BEtter suited for the crappie jon deluxe.
    NWR BASH WINNER
    FEBRUARY 2011
    SPECKLE DIVISION

Post Thanks / Like

Arent the high thrust kickers long shafts? Is you transom a 20" or 15". I had best luck with a 9 1/4 prop on my 9.9. However that 15hp is WAY BEtter suited for the crappie jon deluxe.
    NWR BASH WINNER
    FEBRUARY 2011
    SPECKLE DIVISION

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah my boat has the 20" transom. The Crappie Deluxe in 2005 I think went all welded 16ft. I still have the 15ft riveted. I am leaning towards keeping the old 15hp. Taking the 9.9 to prince on Sat for the final decision.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious as to what you find out. I quit working much on outboards about the time 4 cycles started becoming popular so I don't know much about them. But I think you are going to find that the Hi Thrust performs very close to the 9.9 because it has room for a bigger prop and lower gear ratio to handle it. Plus you are going to love how quiet it is. Let us know the results of your test.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thats one perdy motor

Name:  YAMAHAT9.9.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  68.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Got to try out the new high thrust 9.9.

First things I noticed was that is was slower which I expected. The tiller is to long also. Wasn't much quiter then my 15hp 2 stroke. Could use a different pitch prop and also a Hydrofoil.

Wish I kept my 15hp 2 stroke. Might see this thing for sale soon.

Post Thanks / Like

what pitch prop is on it now? Most time its on the inside, so pull the pin, take the nut off and verify. I have a 15 with a 9 pitch, she'll fly. The prop looks HUGE in the picture
    NWR BASH WINNER
    FEBRUARY 2011
    SPECKLE DIVISION

Post Thanks / Like

Just went out there and took a look at it. Numbers on it were 11.75 x 7-R. Thing is huge.

Post Thanks / Like

Waaaay to big for your boat lineC. See if ya can find a 9. Call Bay propellor on military hwy in chesapeake. They'll tell ya what ya need and will trade ya props. Good luck . You get her pitched right and that yami will run her ok.
    NWR BASH WINNER
    FEBRUARY 2011
    SPECKLE DIVISION

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast