Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fall Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall Crappie

While doing some fall crappie fishing we did ok but still all are pretty small. Also got one of these. 18" Walleye.. 3/32 jig

Post Thanks / Like

nice walleye will be good eating. What color jig did you get the crappies on and did you tip them with anything. Plan on going crappie and gil fishing later this week.

Post Thanks / Like

For got to put a couple others in. Been getting them on really about any color but white has been doing well. Try all untill you find it, white,pink,chartruse..etc. Plus I put the eye back was very thin so put it back for another time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, glad you put the eye back. Good crappie and gil picture. Like to catch those big gils like you got there, they fight like heck. If they ever were to get 20'' not sure you would ever land one. Will try different colored jigs the water down this way i cooling down and maybe that will get rid of some of the heavy stain the water has had mostof the season down here.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never tried for crappie in the fall - usually chasing salmon in Oswego or Pulaski. Do they move back in shallow in the fall? Do they school up, so once you get one you want to work the same spot for a while? I'm thinking about maybe trying to get in a couple hours of crappie fishing this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to Allegany St. Park Wed. morning. You can only use canoe or yak no motor not even electric in Red house lake. Fished 14 foot of water used 1/16 oz. jig with 1.5 in curly tail tube jig, as Eddie said didn't mater much what color. Caught only gils no crappie. The gils were 7-8 inches long have caught better there. Funny how some will inhale whole jig with only head sticking out of that small mouth. The wind came up and bite was pretty much over, hard to fish in the wind with canoe. Going to try again and hope to hook some crappies and maybe get some kind of fall pattern for this lake. The water temp has dropped considiately. Seen a four pt. buck standing along the rd. into the park, horns all shinned up fall is here.
    Thanks 3Horse thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to say what these fish are going to do. I have been catching them in 8ft of water, 15ft of water off the rocks where ever.After this or next weekend, the boat and motor get taken out untill spring. I will then wait till it gets colder and do some night wading for walleyes. Back to crappies, the only time I hear of people catching is late Feb-March when the start coming back to the bays. I have no idea where the move too. I havn't even heard of people catching them by accident in deeper water in Oneida. My guess is rivers? BUT just a crazy guess. Will post some more if all works out well.