Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Any Slab Fisherman from Penna ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any Slab Fisherman from Penna ?

Any crappie fisherman from Penna on this board?

I'm from northern Pennsylvania, spend at least half my fishing time on Crappies, the remainder on bass and the like.

Have a great day.

Post Thanks / Like

Check the Pennsylvania section.

Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of Crappie fishing, but I take whatever bites. I am from South Western PA. Have been getting lots of crappie from Loyalhanna Lake and Donegal Lake. I do a lot of fishing in Raystown lake too,
    Sam in PA and FL

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, we take whatever bites too.

We fish mostly local lakes for the crappies and usually manage to get into the perch while we are at it.

Do you mostly jig fish , use bait, troll?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't troll. I use jigs exclusively, and use 2" style tubes(Yum,Gander MT,Big bite), and curl tails. My wife likes to use the 3" gulp minnows and she does well with them. All my fishing is casting to a spot and slow retrieve(usually 1/16 oz head unless windy) or just tightline over the side of the boat. It is tough to find the crappie at Raystown, but when you do, they are usually slabs.
    Sam in PA and FL

Post Thanks / Like

You know, years ago I fished using your method and have for some reason not returned to it. Not sure why, as casting was very productive.

I'll be trying some of what you suggest over the weekend because the weeds are to thick for trolling at this point.

I use a wide variety of jigs from 1/32 on up and late season I have good luck with the larger Tubby Grubs.. Often I shorten the Tubby Grubs to about 1.5".

Last year we caught TONS of crappies on Crappie Slugs, but this year they haven't worked so well.

Going to Gander in Williamsport soon, will pick up some of their MT tubes and give 'em a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I don't troll. I use jigs exclusively, and use 2" style tubes(Yum,Gander MT,Big bite), and curl tails. My wife likes to use the 3" gulp minnows and she does well with them. All my fishing is casting to a spot and slow retrieve(usually 1/16 oz head unless windy) or just tightline over the side of the boat. It is tough to find the crappie at Raystown, but when you do, they are usually slabs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pennsy Slabs

Some Pennsy Calicos
    Name:  1.gif
Views: 190
Size:  112.7 KBName:  2.gif
Views: 184
Size:  120.9 KBName:  3.gif
Views: 187
Size:  108.3 KBName:  4.gif
Views: 190
Size:  84.4 KBName:  5.gif
Views: 167
Size:  94.5 KB

Have lot's more pics, think I can find the big ones to post? Of Course Not!
    Last edited by fliteking; 09-21-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Add Text