Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing plastics under a bobber

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing plastics under a bobber

Just wondering; for deep water fishing (20 ft.) do you have to impart action to the bobber and plastic; or can you let it sit like live bait?

Post Thanks / Like

If there's a wind the waves will give the bait a lot of movement and you can let it drift through your area.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

i always "pop" my bobber about 2-3" to give it a fleeing action. them seem to hit just after the pop.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing written i stone. You can work it anyway you like...just mix it up and see what works.Thumbs Up IMO, for deep fish, the slower the better.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Just one word of caution if you are trolling with bobbers and without at the same time. When you turn the boat, a bobbered line and un-bobbered line will follow your turn at different times. The result can be crossed lines. I speak from experience.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I fish jigs of any kind under a float, I occasionally pop the float. I try different strength of the pop until one seems to work better than others. I also lift the rod tip until I'm in contact with the float and then just shake my hand and rod, which is transmitted to the jig. There are times that is all they want.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

ok....silly question.....but at those depths (20ft) is there an advantage of using a float.....why not tight line/ deadstick it???? I fish jigs under floats alot, but not ever that deep, Im usally targeting shallow water where you have to cast to them to keep from spooking them....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a guy last time I was at the lake fishing a jig under a bobber, he was poping it constantly. I saw him catch a couple and it looked to me like he was just using the bobber to keep the jig at the right depth. He wasnt waiting on the bobber to show the strikes, he felt the strikes when he popped the jig/bobber. He said he was fishing it that way cause the bite was so slow he couldnt afford to miss one.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I should explain, Im from northern Indiana and fish clear water lakes. Right now Im catching bluegills in twenty feet of water, fishing about 19 feet deep. I know the crappie are deep also but haven't been able to catch any that's why I asked the question. If the crappies stayed shallow in northern lakes they would all be caught! It's not unusall to see 80 to 90 boats out fishing on my 500 acre lake in the summer!

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeepguyjames View Post
    ok....silly question.....but at those depths (20ft) is there an advantage of using a float.....why not tight line/ deadstick it???? I fish jigs under floats alot, but not ever that deep, Im usally targeting shallow water where you have to cast to them to keep from spooking them....
    I use a long rod, 10ft or better, and put a bobber down that deep to catch crappies in 15ft water. It's to get the jig away from the boat and let it drift over the brush. Most brushpiles i use this on, come off the bottom, at least 3ft. Here's my catch from last week using it.
    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...IMG_0026-1.jpg
    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n/IMG_0029.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast