Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Keeping Minnows?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on Keeping Minnows?

The only place in my town that sells minnows never seems to order enough minnows. He get's his shipment in Thursday and he's out by Monday a lot of weeks. I set up an aquarium pump and aerator in a lrg ice chest in my shop to keep some in.
    My question is will I need to give them any food?

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

No, not unless you are going to keep them for a couple weeks then give them some goldfish flakes

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Default live bait

I keep minnows in a 15 gallon bucket all the time. All I have is a large air stone and aquarium air pump and a filter to keep the water kleen. If you plan to keep them for a while, just a little gold fish food like the last reply stated. Also in warmer weather I keep 2 litre bottles filled with water and freeze them and keep one in the bucket to help keep them cool. If they get hot they will die very fast. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Just don't let them get hot.
    RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Post Thanks / Like

I use to buy shiner minnows 10 pounds at a time for crappie fishing on the SQ river in PA. Kept them in an old freezer out in my barn. Added mixing salt to the water. This Is what the wholesalers added to the water when they shipped them out. Don't use table salt as the iodine will kill them. Used to keep them for a month or more, if I didn't use them up to fast, and yes keep the water cool. 96 minnows per lb x 10 = 960 minnows you can get mixing salt at a feed store or you can use kosher salt.
    Last edited by Crappieday; 10-05-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I've got one of those peanut shaped pond liners in my back yard I put mine in.

It's about 4 feet long and a foot or so deep. I got some large river rocks I use as a border and then have some in the bottom as well to give them shade. I also bought one of those double AC aerators. Just need to find a way to hide the aerator better. Under a bucket right now. Works great in the cooler weather but they die quick in the hot weather. Least it's purdy LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    proud member of "Team Cup"

Post Thanks / Like

Don, better add some chicken wire over your pond, or the racoons will consider it an "all you can eat" diner. You'll come out to fill your bucket for a day of fishing, only to find an empty pond.

Post Thanks / Like

Ain;t got to worry bout them. I live in town and they never bother me where I'm at. Now I have seen the stray cats sitting round it before LOL
    proud member of "Team Cup"

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pond it is to hot down here for that pond in florida
    Luke:5
    6And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast