Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Power Pro and super glue

Post Thanks / Like

Default Power Pro and super glue

Found this on another forum and was wondering how you folks feel about braid and glue. I glue my knot at the head mainly in hopes it will help the jig stay horizontal. I have not noticed it being weak. Haven't been using braid long tho.

I had never heard of "Glueing" a knot on fising line untill just tonight, April, 5, 2006. It was brought up on another thread when we got into a debate about super lines. I was told that some fishermen would put a drop of Super Glue on thier knots to keep them from slipping.

Then I understood where our dissagreement was coming from. I've never experienced the problems another fellow was telling me about and I accussed him of jerking too hard.

My appologees.

But, thinking of this knot glueing thing, I wondered that maybe the glue itself was the culprit of my friends woes and could it be the blame for all his line snaps?

I pulled a little experiment here in my kitchen. I took a short lenght of line, 10 pound test Power Pro, and suspended a weight from it. Then I rubbed a drop of Super Glue onto the line and let it dry. Then I bounced the aproximently two pound weight on the line a little as if an average fish were struggling against it and "POP!". My weight hit the floor. Sure enough the line failed where the glue had been applied.

I know that many glues can act as a solvent to palomars and most types of plastics. In plumbing pipes that's how they bond two pieces together, by actually melting them slightly allowing the seperrate piecies to resolidify as one.

I susspected that the Super Glue was weakening the line by breaking it down in the same manner. To me, my little experiment was proof positive.

Granted, this was just a prompt too experiment and was far from under controlled conditions. But if you have any doupts then try it for yourself. If need be I can try it again this weekend with several lines and a proper controll group and document my results, but for now I'm satisfied.

Don't glue your knots!

Muddawg
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Steve ...

I've never resorted to using glue, of any kind, to hold the knot on my lines ... mono or braid. I use the Improved Clinch knot for both line types .... don't have a problem with them, either. I put Spiderwire 20/6 on a spinning reel/fly rod combo .. tied the hook on directly to the Spiderwire, with a Improved Clinch knot ... and proceeded to fish with it (mostly with bobber/minnow rigging). Two seasons went by, of catching fish and hanging up in the brush, before the hook had to be replaced (it finally broke, after many re-straightenings).
    I use PowerPro on another outfit ... same deal - I use the Improved Clinch knot, tied directly to the jig. I've used it for one whole year, with no knot slippage or breakage. I use it a lot with Roadrunners, whose hooks are considerably stouter than my regular jig hooks. So far I've been able to pull a snagged RR free, about 95% of the time. And even those few times that I had to break the line ... it didn't break at the knot. I just haven't seen the need to "glue" my knots ... to prevent slippage or to hold the jig at a certain angle.
    Now, I DO use Super Glue, on occasion ... to glue the plastic tube against a jighead. But, even then, it's mostly to keep the Bluegill from yanking the tube down on the hook. ........ cp

Very interesting experiment ... I may have to try it, myself. Thanks for the report !

Post Thanks / Like

I use a palomar knot for my braid and have not had a slipage problem either and have pulled a lot of jigs free bending the hook. I tightline or jigpole, whatever you call it and like to keep my jig horizontal as much as possible which is why I use the glue. Anyone have a trick for that? I too use the glue to keep the tubes on the jig head. Anyone know of any heads that have a BIG spur and big hooks?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Vertical Jigging ....

is what I believe most people call it .... using a long pole to dip a jig in and around cover. I don't use that method, preferring to cast and retrieve ... and here's why :

This is a picture of standing timber hulks ... mostly hardwoods & Cedars. Perfect vertical jigging waters, so one would think. But, actually ... unless the Crappie are holding right close to the main trunk of those trees, you'd spend hours vertical jigging down this bank ... and you may not even get the first hit. I can cast these trees in much less time, and even actually fish some of the trees that you can't see (submerged below visibility level) as I retrieve my jig. I do Vertical Cast these hulks, when the situation calls for it ... but, that's usually a follow-up method that I use, after casting the area thoroughly.

Have you tried using a loop knot to keep your jig horizontal ??

Don't know of any jigheads with 'big spurs" ... but, Teezur jigs have double spurs. You might also contact Paul Mullins of P&S Tackle, and/or Mike Simpson of Crappie Magic ... they may be able to custom make you some.
    I'm looking at purchasing some Crappie Pro jig bodies (solid) ... since they tend to stay on the jighead better than hollow tubes.

Paul Mullins can be reached at : [email protected]
    Mike Simpson's website is : www.crappiemagic.com

........ luck2ya ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree about getting solid body jigs! I have a bag full of tube jigs and I'm gonna do my best to use all of them up this year, then all I'm going to buy will be solid body jigs!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe so

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ
    I tightline or jigpole, whatever you call it and like to keep my jig horizontal as much as possible which is why I use the glue. Anyone have a trick for that?
    Steve; I have a trick that will change the way you fish, if you use it. I was a dedicated horizontal jig fisherman for almost 20 years and then started fishing with a fellow worker that would tear me a new booty hole every time I went with him. I noticed that he never SET his jigs and I ask him what he was doing. He showed me a "No-Knot-Fas-Snap" and showed me his jigs hanging down instead of horizontal. I went to them and have increased my fish intake considerably without all the wasted time of setting my jigs. I tie it on my line with a cinch knot and then just snap it on the jig eye and start fishing (vertical jig fishing only). I guarantee more bites and less trouble. There was a thread on here about snaps once, and if you type in SNAPS on the search engine, you can go to that thread and see a picture. I use size "Large" from BPS. They are about 1/4in long or less. Hope this helps.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

HEy Steve,

If they are POPPING BRAIDED LINE...then it ain't the line that's the problem.