Post Thanks / Like

Talking Hushpuppies recipe

1 cup of white self-rising cornmeal
    1 teaspoon plain flour
    3 chopped green onions use the green tops
    1 egg
    just enough milk to make a soft batter

Oil needs to be at least 375' to 400'

Mix altogether, drop by teaspoon in your oil, sometimes you may need to let the spoon down in the oil so that the hushpuppie will come off. They will turn over by themself, they will be done when they are golden brown & floating.

Drain on paper towel.

You can dip your spoon in a cup of water between dipping it in your mixture this helps with the mixture sticking to the spoon.

If the batter is to thick add a little more milk, if its to thin add a little more cornmeal.

You can use buttermilk if you would like, just add about 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.

Some people put cream corn in the mixture, we don't, I also like them cold, my grandfather use to eat the left over hushpuppies with a glass of milk. My family has been using this recipe for many years, when ever someone cooks fish and ask us to eat with them I have to make the hushpuppies.

My husband would like for me to make some if we have fish this weekend & he will take pictures to post what they look like. Let me know if you need any help.
    catch them on the run

Post Thanks / Like

admin, please move this to the cooking section

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Roadrunner, I have some yellow perch in the freezer that I pulled through the ice a couple months back that will go along with those just fine.
    Sunday dinner is shaping up.