Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 83/200 kHz transducer

Post Thanks / Like

Default 83/200 kHz transducer

Does anyone know if you have to replace the transducer unit for sonar if you upgrade the sonar unit? Boat came equiped with Lowrance X-50. The screen is beginning to fail and we've never been able to mark fish with an arch. The fish ID function says there are fish everywhere but I don't think it works properly. So we'd like to upgrade to a better model. It has both the 83 and 200 kHz scanning function. So would we have to replace the transducer if we bought another unit that has the 83/200 scanning capability? We're hoping we wouldn't have too and could do it ourselves. Don't like the idea of a novice having to drill holes in the hull or transom to run the wiring. Input is greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if you have to, but you should. Mounting a new transducer doesn't have to be hard. Use the existing holes to mount a wafer board (might have to drill a couple additional holes too), then mount the transducer on the board. If you ever have to do again, it's easy. I've got a wafer board on both sides of the motor; with the side scan, I had to do some adjusting to get it just right and the board made it easy.

Looks like this for my high-speed transducer:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't think you have to replace the transducer. Isn't Lowrance all about the plug end. eg: all 83/200 ducers are interchangeable. It may be easier than you think, I had an LX-15mt and the old skimmer bracket was the same as the newer bracket, I just popped out the old and put in the new.
    Fished out makes a good point about the wafer board.