Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling depth chart

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling depth chart

Someone asked earlier about calculating the depth of your bait by the amount of line you have out. My trig is worse than rusty so I went here: Calculate Angle and Sides opposite, hypotenuse, adjacent of right angled triangle calculator to come up with this chart:

Name:  Bait depth chart with grid 2.jpg
Views: 77592
Size:  32.4 KB

In order to use the chart you have to estimate the angle your line comes off the rod tip and meets the water. When I troll at my usual speed the angle is about 45 degrees. If I go into a "slow" troll it falls off to about 20 degrees, and at "let's boogie" speed it increases to about 60 degrees.

In the upper left-hand corner of the chart is the rod tip. All measurements (except the depth scale on the left axis) are FROM THE ROD TIP. (my rod tip is 1.5 ft above the waterline). As an example, If my line is at a 45-degree angle and I want my bait at 15 feet deep, I need to let out 23.3 feet of line (remember, that's 23.3 feet from the rod tip). You can see the 23.3 about in the middle of the page. The number under it in parens (16.5 in this case) is the number of feet your bait is trailing THE ROD TIP, i.e. how far back?

If your rod tip height, line angle or depth requirements are significantly different from mine you can easily make your own chart. Just go to Calculate Angle and Sides opposite, hypotenuse, adjacent of right angled triangle calculator In the calculation box use the drop-down menus to choose "I want to calculate "Hypotenuse Side" & "Adjacent Side" (those sides of the triangle are the amount of line out and the distance back from the rod tip, respectively). In the "Opposite Side" box enter the depth you want to achieve...remember to add the height of your rod tip above the waterline to the depth! The box "Angle q" gets a little tricky because the angle number you'll enter is actually 90 degrees minus your angle, i.e. to calculate at 30 degrees you enter "60". The "Angle b" box thankfully will show "30" to confirm it's the angle you want. I know it sounds confusing but it's harder to type out an explanation than it is do.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

What boat speed, line size and jig weight are you basing this on.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

My jigs are usually 1/8 oz with a small plastic, tipped with small piece of cut bait.

I run a 3/8 oz sinker about 18" in front of the jig.

My 4 and 8 lb. lines don't seem to change the angle much. But the 20 lb line is a huge change: 45 degrees on the 4 or 8 lb. line is easily 60 degrees on the 20 lb line.

Unfortunately I don't know my boat speed. On my 45# thrust TM my typical speed is set on "25" on a 0-100 scale. Slow trolling is at about "15" on the scale, and let's boogie is a shade over "50". It's just a 12 foot aluminum jon boat so it moves it pretty easily.

Anyone can use the scale; they just need to be able to estimate the angle their line comes off the tip. I'm probably pretty comfortable with it from too many years of carpentry :D

Post Thanks / Like

Dadgum!!!.....it's obvious I'm way too stewpit to Crappie fish.

Note to self - Look up my math teacher and tell her I'm sorry...turns out, math does have a place in the real world.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

How can it be. A banker not knowing math?

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job with the chart.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

Ifn I understand it right, the speed is irrelevant. Speed equates to the angle at the rod tip, and the angle at the rod tip and the amount of line out determines the depth. Huh?
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    How can it be. A banker not knowing math?
    calculators Doh
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Precision Trolling. By Mark Romanac. No Trig., no guessing, all done with 10# test line. Almost every bait is in this book. You can get it on line. Saves a lot of guesswork.

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRiverMarine View Post
    Ifn I understand it right, the speed is irrelevant. Speed equates to the angle at the rod tip, and the angle at the rod tip and the amount of line out determines the depth. Huh?
    Correct. Speed, line size, bait weight, etc will all effect the bait's depth...but it's all reflected in the angle of the line at the rod tip. The biggest eye-opener for me was the effect of line size. The angles of my 4 and 8 lb. lines weren't much different; but the 20 lb. on the baitcaster was a MUCH bigger angle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast