Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Kayak opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Kayak opinions

New to the board here, love to crappie and bass fish! But lately I've been doing a lot of research on Kayak fishing and think it sounds really awesome, but I have NO idea what kind of Kayak is best for what I do and what opinions people had on certain brands. I mostly would use it for river fishing and I have some larger ponds that I would use it to fish off of as well, mostly for bass and crappie. Anyone have any tips or pointers to get me in the right direction? Any help is appreciated! thanks

Post Thanks / Like

We need a few more tidbits of info on you and how you are going to use your kayak. How big are you, how you plan to transport it (on roof of SUV, bed of pickup, or on a trailer), how far do you need to paddle from access, only using ramps do you plan to cart/carry it a ways down a trail, do you expect strong wind, large wakes from motorboats, or expect rapids/riffles, do you plan to fish standing up, or just sitting down, do you want to hang your feet off the sides when fishing, do you plan to troll, or just drift or do you plan to anchor, do you want a to just paddle, or would your rather peddle (like a bicycle) or plan on adding a trolling motor, etc.

Generally speaking, a river kayak is different shaped hull than one used for bigger reservoirs. Although a few boats are capable of doing both okay. Good thing there is lots of variety of kayaks out there. Hands Clapping

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    We need a few more tidbits of info on you and how you are going to use your kayak. How big are you, how you plan to transport it (on roof of SUV, bed of pickup, or on a trailer), how far do you need to paddle from access, only using ramps do you plan to cart/carry it a ways down a trail, do you expect strong wind, large wakes from motorboats, or expect rapids/riffles, do you plan to fish standing up, or just sitting down, do you want to hang your feet off the sides when fishing, do you plan to troll, or just drift or do you plan to anchor, do you want a to just paddle, or would your rather peddle (like a bicycle) or plan on adding a trolling motor, etc.

Generally speaking, a river kayak is different shaped hull than one used for bigger reservoirs. Although a few boats are capable of doing both okay. Good thing there is lots of variety of kayaks out there. Hands Clapping
    -Well I'm roughly 165lb's, 6 ft 2 in. I'll transport on the bed of a pickup truck probably all the time to our local ponds and rivers inlets, I'm a pretty diverse fisherman, I fish many different ways with no large preferance. The closer rivers are not that large but I would like to be able to go down a larger river. I would like to be able to put my feet over edge and fish from the Kayak sitting down. I would probably paddle most of the time as well or drift down current of the river and stop at banks. I am really looking for a pretty diverse kayak that will do a little big of everything thats simple to use and transport, but as I said I have NO idea where to start looking for something like that! Ha If there is even such a thing?

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on how much you're looking to spend also. Top of the line would be Hobie Pro Angler and the Hobie Outback. These have a peddling system which from what I've heard and seen are awesome!! You are able to move yet still be able to fish. Malibu Stealth 12 and 14 are pretty good from what I've read. As well as the Malibu X-Factor. Good luck to ya!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunch for the info i'll look into them! Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

I've not used one, but I'm not at all sold on the peddling systems. Open water lakes or saltwater I think it would be a great tool that would benefit of many reasons. I fish a lot of small water and rivers and I just don't see the need for the added expense. I'm using a kayak to go shallow. I can't see much reason for one in shallow water. On most rivers that I know of, there's an abundance of things under the water just waiting to rip something off. The currents can go from slow to quick in a hurry. I've seen lower units go on big motors while only idling, so I could easily see this becoming a liability if you're trying to rely on it.

Something in the 11-12' range sit on top is what you're looking for. They're not too big, but still big enough to handle gear as well a cooler for fish, and/or rations. Shipping can really be a bear on the wallet, so just look around somewhere local that sells them and take a look. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filletfetish View Post
    I've not used one, but I'm not at all sold on the peddling systems. Open water lakes or saltwater I think it would be a great tool that would benefit of many reasons. I fish a lot of small water and rivers and I just don't see the need for the added expense. I'm using a kayak to go shallow. I can't see much reason for one in shallow water. On most rivers that I know of, there's an abundance of things under the water just waiting to rip something off. The currents can go from slow to quick in a hurry. I've seen lower units go on big motors while only idling, so I could easily see this becoming a liability if you're trying to rely on it.

Something in the 11-12' range sit on top is what you're looking for. They're not too big, but still big enough to handle gear as well a cooler for fish, and/or rations. Shipping can really be a bear on the wallet, so just look around somewhere local that sells them and take a look. Good luck!

That's why Hobie is the top dog of kayaks. You push the peddle forward and the fins lay flat against the bottom of the kayak. Then you're able to go in water as low as about 4-6 inches. I haven't fished in rivers with flowing water in my kayak yet, so I couldn't say about rivers. I fish Toledo Bend ALOT and it gets pretty windy out there and having to constantly paddle gets annoying. It would also make trolling alot easier, cuz otherwise you'd have to stop paddling, grab the rod, the yak is turning in whatever way it decides. There are plenty other yaks out there that don't have the peddling system that are pretty dang good from what I've read. I'm new to kayak fishing also. I started with a cheap Pelican Castaway 116 and I'm damn happy with it!! Fishing Toledo Bend at night wind blowing about 20-30mph, waves getting up to about 3ft tall, anchored down water splashing all over me, while I'm catching NICE White Bass and Crappie!! For being a beginner I wasn't worried once with all that wind and waves!! Just my opinion though.

Post Thanks / Like

dont be afriad that you have to have a hobie they are nice they are fast . but the fins do fold but they also hang up i fish alot of water with down trees and gravel bars the fins drag and tear on oyster shells also .. i fish 90% of the time out of a $350 dicks sporting goods kayak a wilderness pamilco i will say buy the most expensive yak you can afford the comfort is the premium future beach/pelican they will do but the seating will wear out after a few hours and that maks for short trips or ncomfortable ones i want another yak for summer river fishing .. my pamlico is 10 ft very mobile by myself and as a sit inside in the winter i am much dryer than my friends on a sit on top they were waders i wear sweat pants and lay a towel on my lap as a blanket and am fine with ice around the edges of the river
    go to a kayak shop and do a demo look at the boats many are very similar you might find 1 that fits your needs cheaper

also you can make a angler series for the same price out of a non angler boat scotty rod holders are much nicer than cut ins

Post Thanks / Like

River and Trail in Beloit, Wisconsin or Rutabaga near Madison, Wisconsin should both have demos/rentals. I don't know of any kayak shops in Illinois but I am sure there are some. Try out as many different kayaks as possible.

Based on what you said so far, if you are going to be primarily on lakes, go with a 12-14 ft boat. If small creeks and rivers, that require dodging rocks or staying out of trees, then move down to the 10-12 ft sized kayaks. Also for small rivers don't rule out a solo canoe, they work great and most can be paddled with a kayak paddle.

Based on what you said so far, I would look at Jackson Daytripper and Cuda models. Wilderness System Commander, Tarpon, and Ride. Native Manta Ray and Ultimate. I would avoid Ocean Kayak, good designs but being thinner they don't hold up well to use in rivers. Similar avoid peddle models for use in shallow rivers.

Again demo/rent/bum from friends as many different kayaks as possible to try out. Paddle straight line for 3 minutes, make figure 8's both really wide and as tight as possible, to get a feel for the kayak. Also (if warm) try and lean to the side and see how far you can lean before falling out.

No need to buy angler model, basic model is usually sufficient and much cheaper to outfit it yourself to suit your needs.

Any kayak that gets you on the water is better than no kayak.

Post Thanks / Like

bfish nailed it. I'm still in my first. Wanted something cheap to learn in. Then if it wasn't for me I've not lost much. Now I see I really like kayak fishing and will move to a Cuda or some other SOT next year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast