Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Skimmer or Puck Transducer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skimmer or Puck Transducer?

How many of you guys use a skimmer transducer on your bow mount trolling motor and how many of you use a puck transducer?

I have an extra skimmer transducer that I am thinking of mounting on my bow mount trolling motor, instead of spending the extra money on a puck transducer.

Thanks,
    deep-v
    GO STEELER'S!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a skimmer on mine works okay just have to check and make sure it is looking in the right direction every now and again. lol
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

I use the this transducer on my trolling motor. My transducer that was made for the trolling motor had the cable cut and failed me. Humminbird didn't have anymore of them type so I purchased one of the portable transducers and adapted it to my trolling motor. My old humminbird LCR 8000 is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by deep-v
    How many of you guys use a skimmer transducer on your bow mount trolling motor and how many of you use a puck transducer?

I have an extra skimmer transducer that I am thinking of mounting on my bow mount trolling motor, instead of spending the extra money on a puck transducer.

Thanks,
    deep-v
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there Deep-V,
    I have a skimmer transducer for my Eagle graph on my trolling motor. Works great! The thing I like about a skimmer over a puck is the fact that I can angle it slightly towards the front and get just a little earlier picture of my brushpile.

I also wondered if I could actually tell what side of the boat that I was seeing the brushpile on by turning the trolling motor back and forth. I understand that it is not the direction that the transducer is pointed in but the direction that the boat is moving that records the bottom.

I'm still experimenting with tilting my transducer slightly to see if it's possible to scan left or right just a little.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like I'm not hurting myself by putting the skimmer on my trolling motor and I kinda like Slabbandit's idea of tilting it forward a bit.
    GO STEELER'S!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skimmer

I have always used a skimmer mounted at in the photo in the thread. Never had any problems. Good luck.
    Secretary of Da Fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transducer

I have tried both on the trolling motor and have went back to the skimmer type. Fishing has a lot of connection with having confidence in your equipment. I just felt more confidant with the skimmer type.
    That's the only reason I went back.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.