Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage sale special -- my first baitcasting rod/reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garage sale special -- my first baitcasting rod/reel

I'm sure I'll have a million questions as I learn my way around this thing. It's heavier than my spinning set-ups (all are either medium light, light or ultralight). It's probably a medium action and the line must be about 20lb. or so Bought it at a neighborhood garage sale for $20.

The next day I caught some bass and crappie with it while trolling but it didn't catch any more than my spinning rigs. Biggest differences were that the fish didn't have a fighting chance against the medium action and 20lb. line, and it felt so weird to hold the rod in my left hand and crank with the right -- that's just backwards! I certainly did notice that the heavier line "drags" more through the water, requiring more line out to achieve the same depth. I even threw about 10 casts without backlashing, but of course they only went about 30 feet or so with no arc or finesse; pretty ugly actually.

I'll probably change the line to 10lb...once I figure out what all the different buttons. levers and wheels do on this thing.

I doubt I'll become a baitcaster, but I figure it'll be useful experience for only $20. (I thought "Hey, this is my opportunity to try out braided line"...until I realized the line would probably cost more than my entire cost of the rig!)

Post Thanks / Like

I used #10 PowerPro on my bc for years functioned quite well can find it on sale under $10 at times.

OOhh and holding/casting rod with left and reeling with right is normal Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

Leave the old line on it and practice casting for a while. Most of my bass & cat reels are baitcasters, and there's a bit of practicing required when learning. Lets just say fishing line manufacturers had a good year when I was learning Rofl

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get with someone who uses them a lot and cast some 1/2 or 3/4 oz sinkers in the yard for a while. You learn a lot about casting when you're not trying to catch fish. An experienced friend can shorten the learning curve a bunch.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

There's some good info on this site that make help you adjust it, etc.

Adjusting A Baitcast Reel

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for the great advice. Neon is right...best to leave the old line on until I know a little more about how to control this monster.

Skeet's idea is great...all I need to do is find a 3/4 oz rubber ball and my dog will have a new toy we can play chase with.

Blackhawk, many thanks for that site! It will save me hours of head-scratching.

And Quake, the hardest part of this whole thing is learning to cast with my left arm. Reeling with the right hand came pretty easily, but this left-handed casting business is awkward.

I'll probably use it mostly for trolling anyway. I figure it can be my "deep" rig, so if a northern pike is going to hit anything it will be the 20 lb. line instead of a 4 lb. ultralight. Of course, that sounds like "the best laid plans of mice and men...."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdorman View Post
    And Quake, the hardest part of this whole thing is learning to cast with my left arm. Reeling with the right hand came pretty easily, but this left-handed casting business is awkward. "
    I cast with my right hand and switch the rod to the left as the bait hits the water so I can reel.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk19 View Post
    I cast with my right hand and switch the rod to the left as the bait hits the water so I can reel.
    Ditto

Post Thanks / Like

if you are going to bass fish go ahead and learn to cast left handed. you'll be miles ahead of switching hands in mid-cast to reel. no telling how many bass i've lost or missed by doing that very thing. and i was good at it too. if you even have a hint of being ambidextrous go ahead and learn to throw left handed. your life will be much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olduckhunter View Post
    if you are going to bass fish go ahead and learn to cast left handed. you'll be miles ahead of switching hands in mid-cast to reel. no telling how many bass i've lost or missed by doing that very thing. and i was good at it too. if you even have a hint of being ambidextrous go ahead and learn to throw left handed. your life will be much easier.
    That's my plan, just to see if I can do it well. As mentioned earlier, I'll probably use the BC rig as my deep-troller.

One other question: Why is it so hard to find BC rods in Light or Medium Light, 2-piece??? Nearly every BC rod I see is Medium or Medium Heavy, and almost every one is 1-piece (I need 2-piece to fit in the car). Is it because of the drag of crankbaits?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast