Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Just a ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Just a ?

OK are the crappie in pre spawn or are they in something else? In the past I only fished small farm ponds and catching fish was no problem. Now I have been fishing smithville lake and it is not as easy. I know they key around wood at this time {or more than normal} and will be deep out by spawning areas. I still have a hard time finding fish. What am I doing wrong.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

don't worry about it miller, we all have those days. if we nailed 'em every time i can say for sure i wouldn't have as much fun, and most folks here probably agree. (i'd eat real good though!) the bigger impoundments are just a larger puzzle to figure out. look at a small cove and treat it just like a farm pond and you will be fine. as far as spawning, find out the temperature of the water (internet, boat electronics, or just ask another fisherman) and if it is between 60-66 F the crappie are spawning for sure. a little higher and a little lower some will still be spawing, but not the majority. also, they will not be "deep out by spawing areas". they move shallow to spawn so toss up a jig or whatever is your favorite (mine is a roadrunner or puddlejumper) into the shallow cover and fish it. remember that the spring also brings turbulent weather and crazy wind; both of which affect fishing and can cause a slow day. good luck to you.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

Miller -- they are in early prespawn right now at smithville lake. Lake temps as of 4/04 are 51 degrees , that was the warmest I could find on the main lake. Fishing in these conditions are iffy somedays. I would recommend downsizing your bait/ lure and fishing slower. *hint- pearl white is a good prespawn color on smithville lake, and work close to standing wood near a creek channel, don't tell anyone I told you though! I fish the lake at least 3-4 times a week so if you need some more tips I will help you out all I can. Good Luck and keep your chin up!
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

Miller, don't feel bad at all.... the good thing is that we know there is a very good crappie population at Smithville, so don't need to doubt yourself or anything. I think the crappies are staging at a little bit deeper water right now, and they will move to the shallow once the sun warms the water up in the afternoon. I will go to Smithville this weekend, and hope I can see some crappies there.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't feel too bad,scroll down to the smithville reporthttp://www.mdc.mo.gov/fish/prospects/